× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

existing readynas Duo drive in same machine

richbeale
Aspirant

existing readynas Duo drive in same machine

Hi

Following my previous post earlier.

I have 2 drives that i removed from my NAS DUO, both were working I am pretty sure, had no issues.

removed them, used another drive, and now want to use the old drives back in the machine agian.

One existing drive I have tried, wouldnt access the drive, shows up on my network, but am unable to access it says the 'volume scan failed to run properly' tried reinstalling the OS NOT A FACTORY RESET and still nothing. has this data gone?

I still have the other drive with out it being touched, can I put that in and should be ok, will it try and AUTO format the drive? As I dont want to loose the photos etc on the drive. 

Thought having two drives mirrored id not have this problem!

Thanks in advance for anyones help.

Rich

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: existing readynas Duo drive in same machine

Let's stay with your original thread, instead of starting a new one with each followup.  I will lock this thread.

I replied to your original post here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Removed-drives-reinstalled-and-keeps-wan...

@richbeale wrote:

One existing drive I have tried, wouldnt access the drive, shows up on my network, but am unable to access it says the 'volume scan failed to run properly' tried reinstalling the OS NOT A FACTORY RESET and still nothing. has this data gone?

I don't know what happened there, though I still suggest following the path I outlined in my other post.  It is possible that the data is gone, but it is also possible the R-linux for Windows will find it and allow you to offload it.

@richbeale wrote:

I still have the other drive with out it being touched, can I put that in and should be ok, will it try and AUTO format the drive? As I dont want to loose the photos etc on the drive. 

If you insert the drive with the NAS powered down, it should only auto-format if it sees a blank (unpartitioned) disk.

@richbeale wrote:

Thought having two drives mirrored id not have this problem!

One thing to remember is that while RAID redundancy is a good thing, it isn't enough to keep your data safe.  There are lots of ways that RAID can fail, so you still do need to have a backup of your data on another device.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements