× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

file copy to external drive problems

DC423
Aspirant

file copy to external drive problems

Hi I am Having problems copying files and folder from my RN102 to an external drive. I can see and access all my files throiugh the admin page and some folders were as simple as doing a copy , (From drop down menu) and pasting to an external drive. But many will not allow ne to copy from drop down menu and paste to the external drive. Any thoughts on why this is happening. My user knowledge is limited and the manual is not as helpful as i would hope.

Thanks

Dan

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: file copy to external drive problems

@DC423

What message are you getting when trying to copy the files and what types of files are those as well?

Message 2 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Also, can you copy the files from Windows File Explorer (or MacOS Finder)?

Message 3 of 13
DC423
Aspirant

Hi,
Thanks for responding.
When I am in the admin page, I tried to do a copy, using the right click copy from the drop down menu, I dont seem to be able to paste into the directory of an external drive. Although in some of the folders I was able to do this easily.

When i try to access some of the folders from the network in win 10 file explorer I get a win security "Enter Network credentials" window. I am not sure what they are asking for. I am the administrator of the NAS, and am able to login to admin page and see files and folders. I have tried a number of user/ password combos unsuccessfuly. Even though I am the only user and created these folders..

I attempted to do a drag and drop from admin browse panel to external drive but it wont allow it and i get a "use download to retrieve this file". I tried this but it download did not start.

When looking at the user manual I have to admit user knowledge deficiancy, I gues at my age i need more of a "see spot run" version insted of a "dr. Suess"
Any help is greatly appreciated.
D

Message 4 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

In Windows Explorer, you can just use the same credentials as you use for the GUI -- user name admin and your admin password.  Since admin has full access, you should be able to copy anything you need to.  Personally, I choose to use another account I created when accessing via Windows, but that's more from habit (in general, using admin credentials for non-admin tasks has a greater potential to create problems) than anything specific I'm avoiding on the NAS.

Message 5 of 13
DC423
Aspirant

Hi,
Thanks again for responding.

When i try to access a folder i get an error window saying it,
".. is not accessable. you by the same user using more than one user name are not allowed. Disconnect allprevious connections to the server or shared resource and try again might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administartor of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user using more than one user name is not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

So I am trying to understand what it is saying. Now Idid have two laptops trying to use the server for this project. but I removed one and still got the error. I was wondering if i enabled annonymous for all shares if that would help?
Thanks
D

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@DC423 wrote:

".. is not accessable. you by the same user using more than one user name are not allowed. Disconnect allprevious connections to the server or shared resource and try again might not have permission to use this network resource.

This means there is another SMB session from the same PC that is open to the NAS.

Try this:

Run CMD on the PC (enter CMD in the windows search bar) and then enter

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\sharename /user:admin nas-admin-password

using the real IP address, a real sharename, and admin password.

Be careful on the typing (both spaces and the two different slash directions).

The first command closes any open SMB sessions.  The second attempts to mount the share as drive letter T using the NAS admin credentials.

If this works, you need to enter a NAS credential for the NAS hostname and IP address in the windows credential manager.  As @Sandshark said, this can be the NAS admin account.  Or you can create a new NAS user account, and use it's credentials.

Message 7 of 13
DC423
Aspirant

Thanks,

Before I try that...

Is there a way I can determine where the 2nd smb session is coming from? And here is another question. Since I am able to access certain folders and move files from windows explorer network (NAS) drive to my deskstop with a simple copy and paste.In particular from the original folder set that is default in the NAS system (Music ,pictures etc) why would i not be able to do the same from some of the folders that were created later on? ( as i look at all the settings they seem to be identical so I must be missing something)

Sorry and yet one more question. Could I copy and paste from one share to another within the admin page and then extract them from windows file explorer as explained above.

D

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@DC423 wrote:

Is there a way I can determine where the 2nd smb session is coming from?

No, but more than likely it is coming from an earlier attempt to access the NAS.  The sessions aren't closed when you exit the file manager window.

Whenever you access the NAS, a credential is being presented.  If there is a credential stored in the Windows Credential Manager, then that is the credential being used.  If there is no credential, then normally Windows will present the username you used when you logged into Windows.  The NAS uses the credential when determining what you can and can't access.

@DC423 wrote:

Since I am able to access certain folders and move files from windows explorer network (NAS) drive to my deskstop with a simple copy and paste.In particular from the original folder set that is default in the NAS system (Music ,pictures etc) why would i not be able to do the same from some of the folders that were created later on? ( as i look at all the settings they seem to be identical so I must be missing something)

You could post screen shots showing the network and file access settings for one of the shares that doesn't work.  That might help sort it out.  

You could also try creating a fresh test share with default settings, and see if you can access that.

Another thing to try:  Go to the file access tab in the share settings, and press "default access" followed by "reset".  See if that makes any difference.

One thing to keep in mind - the NAS has a private folder feature as well as the public shares.  That folder is only accessible by the NAS user (and the NAS admin), and has the same name as the NAS username.   While that's a useful feature for businesses, I don't find it helpful on at home.  You can essentially disable that feature by editing the "Home" share settings on the NAS admin UI.  Just turn off all the file sharing protocols for that share (SMB being the main one for Windows).

@DC423 wrote:

Sorry and yet one more question. Could I copy and paste from one share to another within the admin page and then extract them from windows file explorer as explained above.

You can of course copy/paste files and folders using the web admin page - and it also can be done with a NAS backup job.

If the problem is linked to file permissions (different from network permissions), then that might not solve your problem.

Shares (like ordinary folders) can help organize your data.  You don't have to use the built-in ones, and they can be deleted if you have no use for them.

Message 9 of 13
DC423
Aspirant

Hey there,

I want to Thank all of you , StevenB, Sandshark and Marc_V for your help. Thanks to your responses i was able to at least get through this. I ended up bringing in yet a third laptop and this time I was able toaccess all the shares that my other two could not.Thanks to your responses and suggestions  Iwas to tweak someof the permissions in the shares  and the access opened up.(although i would still get denied access on some shares from one laptop that another could access). I am sure by now the whole network was confused. Any way all the files are safely off loaded. So I can upgrade and rethink my future RAID/ NAS  usage.This was an older 3Tb system and I will need to go much larger as I start to do the All family photo," convert to digital "scan project..

Thanks

DC

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@DC423 wrote:

So I can upgrade and rethink my future RAID/ NAS  usage.This was an older 3Tb system and I will need to go much larger as I start to do the All family photo," convert to digital "scan project..

You can upgrade the disks in your RN102 to increase capacity.  For instance, you could upgrade to 2x8TB for about $400.

I recommend getting NAS-purposed disks for the RN100 series.  Many desktop drives have switched to SMB (which isn't a good choice for RAID). 

WD EFRX drives are good choices, but if you go with the newer EFAX then get a drive that is at leat 8 TB.  The 2-6 TB EFAX are also SMB (which was a bad move on WD's part).  Seagate Ironwolf drives (any size) are another good option.

Message 11 of 13
DC423
Aspirant

Hey there

Thanks for the advice. I can see that I will need to spend some time researching this (and educating myself). I will probably look to a Box with more bay capacity that can handle even larger than 8 TB drives,and with a more robust raid interface.. 

Once again ,Thanks

DC

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@DC423 wrote:

Hey there

Thanks for the advice. I can see that I will need to spend some time researching this (and educating myself). I will probably look to a Box with more bay capacity that can handle even larger than 8 TB drives,and with a more robust raid interface.. 

Once again ,Thanks

DC

There is no known limit to the drive size that OS-6 ReadyNAS can handle. But the RN100 is just the entry level product, and the performance is much faster with higher-end ReadyNAS.  You could go higher than 8 TB on the RN102, but the RAID sync time will take longer with the larger disks.

There is some investment protection here though - if you upgrade the disks now, you can directly migrate them to a larger ReadyNAS later on, and just add disks to further increase your capacity.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements