× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: filezilla

corkscrew22
Aspirant

filezilla

I am trying to connect to my ReadyNAS Duo v1 with filezilla, see the attached screen shots. I am using the admin log in and password. It appears to be connecting ok but will not get a directory listing.

filezilla-1.pngfilezilla-2.png

Message 1 of 2

Model: RND2210v1|READYNAS DUO v1 (2TB: 2 X 1TB)|EOL
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@corkscrew22 wrote:

here are the ftp settings in screenshots below

filezilla-4.png

This one needs to be set to passive, not active.  

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What settings are you using for the connection in filezilla and the NAS?

In particular, are you using FTP with explicit TLS?

Are you trying to connect over the internet, or are you trying to connect on your local network?

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Looks like a connection attempt on the same local network and subnet.

If an ftp connection fails t this point is because of the data connection can't be established, either as an active connection, or as a passive connection. Have tried both? Possible cause could be an undefined firewall config on this Linux system for example.

If there are other routers or security appliances in the data path, again possibly a firewall issue. Reason: an FTP-ALG typically in place can't see and analyze the encrypted ftp-conrol connection. The FTP-data ports need to be allowed by the firewall, and NAT-forwarded in case there is NAT in place.

@StephenB does the FTP TLS work on the legacy systems? Appears the ftp control connection can be established.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@StephenB does the FTP TLS work on the legacy systems? 

Yes.  You can't block unencrypted connections with the legacy NAS, but it will accepted encrypted ones.

@schumaku wrote:

Looks like a connection attempt on the same local network and subnet.

Appears the ftp control connection can be established.

Agreed. 

Looking more closely, the passive port command appears to be on IP 192.168.2.3, but the control connection appears to be on 192.168.2.9. That suggests that masquerading isn't set up correctly on the Duo.  

@corkscrew22:  If you have masquerading set on the Duo's FTP settings, disable it.  Some clients need it, but FileZilla isn't one of them.

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

Looking more closely, the passive port command appears to be on IP 192.168.2.3, but the control connection appears to be on 192.168.2.9. That suggests that masquerading isn't set up correctly on the Duo.  

@corkscrew22:  If you have masquerading set on the Duo's FTP settings, disable it.  Some clients need it, but FileZilla isn't one of them.

Valid observation.

On a side note (when I have it right the Duo has only one network adapter so this does not apply): There is a Kernel control that does enforce the TCP/IP stack to use the same interface for the return traffic. This is essential when there are multiple interfaces are connected to the same IP subnet - it can happen that the return traffic does go out over a different interface. This was fine as long as no stateful firewalls are in the play. But a stateful firewall would block this kind of return traffic.

Message 5 of 8
corkscrew22
Aspirant

ok lot of questions comments below is more info

the duo and the desktop are both on local network  going through a manged switch and a router.

It is worth noting I have a raspberry pi on the same network and I can connect to it from the same desktop using filezilla and ftp and works fine so i dont believe there are any firewall isues.

I am connecting using standard ftp.

Menu_001.pnghere are the ftp settings in screenshots below

filezilla-4.pngfilezilla-5.png

as for Masquerade settings I had it set to the below first

duo-2.png

This did not work and as mentioned it is not required so i set back to the default see below

duo-1.png

So i then try to connect using these settings

Host ftp://192.168.2.9, username and password i leave blank , Port i put 21, the result is pretty much the same as before from what i can see it connects but cannot retrieve a directory listing.

filezilla-6.png

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@corkscrew22 wrote:

here are the ftp settings in screenshots below

filezilla-4.png

This one needs to be set to passive, not active.  

Message 7 of 8
corkscrew22
Aspirant

thanks very much working fine now...

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements