× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

firmware updated a RN2120 stopped communicating with it

Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

firmware updated a RN2120 stopped communicating with it

Hi
Just manually run a firmware update on a RN2120 said it was successful rebooted, now I cannot ping it or contact it. I have rebooted and powered it off and back on again still nothing.

The rn2120 would not update from its webpage either, I did the manual firmware upgrade.
The picture below shows all drive lights on power light is on and has network activity and the ethernet port on the back has normal activity. Anyone have any ideas maybe roll back the firmware ?

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Re: firmware updated a RN2120 stopped communicating with it

It looks like you didn't post the picture.

What status is RAIDar telling you?  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads

Message 2 of 22
Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

I have tried using the RAIDar software did not find it.  If I use ReadyCloud to discover picks up 2 NAS 316 but will not find the 2120v2

20190313_140936.jpgreadycloud devices.jpg

Message 3 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  The next step is to power down the RN2120, and remove the disks (labeling by slot).

Then power up.  If the chassis (and flash) are ok, RAIDar should detect it, and report a no disks status. Reinsert the disks in the proper slot with the NAS powered down.

Message 4 of 22
Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

20190313_155538.jpgReadycloud.jpg

I have removed all the drives and powered the 2120 chassis on same lights have come on.  Device has not come up in RAIDar and when I look on ReadyCLOUD only showing the NAS316.  I am to able to do a ping to the IP address that is assigned to the 2120 from my computer or access the ReadyNas adminpage

Message 5 of 22
StephenB
Guru

ReadyCloud can't find it unless it is fully booted - and it boots from the disks.  You can't access the web page with no disks either.  So those won't work.

But RAIDar should be able to find it.   And the NAS should request (and get) a DHCP address from your router.

If that's not happening (and that appears to be the case), then something has likely failed in your chassis.  It could be the NIC card itself, or it could be the flash memory.

One option is to contact paid netgear support via my.netgear.com.  You might check your warranty status (which should be 5 years for the original purchaser).  If you are covered, you can just request an RMA.  Netgear likely will troubleshoot before they agree to that.

A second option is to attempt a USB recovery.  The procedure for that is here: https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system#M... If you try this, make sure you follow the instructions for the RN2120 - which is an ARM-based rack-mount NAS. 

BTW, the hardware manual for your NAS is here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RN2120/ReadyNAS_OS6_Rackmount_HWM_EN.pdf

Message 6 of 22
Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

Will this affect any data stored on the drives?

A second option is to attempt a USB recovery.  The procedure for that is here: https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system#M... If you try this, make sure you follow the instructions for the RN2120 - which is an ARM-based rack-mount NAS. 

Message 7 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Adie-FineTubes wrote:

Will this affect any data stored on the drives?

It shouldn't.  I think you could try it with the drives removed (putting in a single unformatted disk).  @JohnCM_S should be able to confirm if that works (or if it can be done diskless).  

Message 8 of 22
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi all,

It shouldn't.  I think you could try it with the drives removed (putting in a single unformatted disk).  @JohnCM_S should be able to confirm if that works (or if it can be done diskless).  

Yes, you can do a USB recovery with a scratch drive but it needs to have OS on it.

You cannot do a USB recovery with a diskless NAS. It updates the OS on the drives first and then on the flash.

Regards,

Message 9 of 22
Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

Netgear Storage USB recovery.jpg

Trying to use the Netgear USB recovery, Iv selected the usb drive, and the product, and the model but the firmware image is empty.  Any ideas.

I will be glad when this week is over

Message 10 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Did you skip this step?  Extract the firmware file (.img) and release notes from the zip file to the same folder you used for the USB Recovery Tool

If you are using the windows recovery tool, you can try this method:

https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system w...:

To create a USB recovery drive for an ARM-based system:

1. Find a USB drive with a capacity that is greater than 256 MB, but no more than 32 GB.
  2. Ensure that the USB drive has only one partition.
  3. Format the USB drive as FAT, FAT-32, or MS-DOS file system.
  4. Make a note of the drive letter your USB drive is assigned after formatting.
  5. Copy data to the USB:
    • If your ReadyNAS system is an RN102, RN104, or RN2120, copy initrd-recovery.gz and NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt files from the Marvell directory onto the USB drive. Then copy to the USB drive the uImage-recovery file from the Marvell/[MODEL] directory, where [MODEL] is rn102, rn104, or rn2120.
    • If your ReadyNAS system is an RN200 or RN210 series, copy initrd-recovery.gz, NTGR_USBBOOT_INFO.txt, and uImage-recovery from the rn2xx folder to your USB drive.

@JohnCM_S wrote:

You cannot do a USB recovery with a diskless NAS. It updates the OS on the drives first and then on the flash.

Can you double-check this?  It conflicts with info I've been given previously.  Also, it seems like a bad restriction, since there are times when you need a USB recovery and you have no drives with the OS partition installed.

Message 11 of 22
Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

I realised after sending the post I missed that step.

How long should it take? its been going 40 minutes, the flash drive is still being accessed by the NAS.

Message 12 of 22
StephenB
Guru

It shouldn't take that long.  Are drives in the RN2120?

Message 13 of 22
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@StephenB

Sorry. I received a piece of wrong information about the USB recovery. You can actually do the USB recovery even if there are no disks inside the NAS. It updates the boot flash, not the drives.

No disks are touched when doing the USB recovery.

Regards,

Message 14 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Sorry. I received a piece of wrong information about the USB recovery. You can actually do the USB recovery even if there are no disks inside the NAS. It updates the boot flash, not the drives.

No disks are touched when doing the USB recovery.

Thx for double-checking Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 22
Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

So I have tried running the recovery but every time i flick the power switch on the back it powers on straight away.

I really just want to get the data off the device, it will be taken out of commision afterwards

Message 16 of 22
Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

Sorry ment decommisioned

Message 17 of 22
StephenB
Guru

Check the warranty status (5 years for original purchaser).  If it is still covered you can request an RMA via my.netgear.com.

If you can connect the disks to another linux system, you can also manually mount the data volume and offload the data.

Message 18 of 22
Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

How do I raise a RFM? it is under warrenty but have no chat phone email support

Annotation 2019-03-22 093754.jpg

Message 19 of 22
StephenB
Guru

These images might not be current, but should help: https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/LED-blinking-Continuously-blinking-W...

You can use the "replace my defective netgear product" on the fourth image instead of "get help on my netgear product".  Also, note the "request a warranty replacement" link on the last image.

Message 20 of 22
Adie-FineTubes
Aspirant

Ok so tried raising a case on the Netgear site but I didn't get a case reference number just a red square?  But I need a referance number to speak to someone

Message 21 of 22
StephenB
Guru

You could try sending an email to customer.service@netgear.com, telling them you were unable to get a case number.

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements