× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

getting files and folders off rn102 3TB

DC423
Aspirant

getting files and folders off rn102 3TB

Hi I just managed to get my Radynas 102 to be seen by ready cloud on my laptop.I would like to copy all the files and folders to an external drive, as this sytem is a bit glitchy for me .So it would be best for me to off load and then revisit my issues.

Thanks

DC

Model: RN10223D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (2x 3TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: getting files and folders off rn102 3TB

@DC423

Welcome to the Community!

Are you accessing the RN102 locally? If it is, it would be better to use the Admin page and do a Backup from the backup job manager. Connect your External drive to your NAS.

Another better way is to access the NAS on Windows Explorer using it's IP. Using the ReadyCloud portal to download your data will take too much time iMO.

What issues are you getting on your NAS?

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 10
DC423
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for replying, I currently am unable to access the admin page, during my recent firmware update and the Netgear incistance on marrying my old readynas login/password to the My netgear account has left me locked out, (no passwords work including the original admin/password ) I even have gotten the password reset not available screen.

I currently do have the ready nas open and can see the files / folders. I can download to laptop then move to external drive but i would like to skip that step and just offload / download directly to external drive.it a couple of TB's and dont want to baby sit them. My laptop does not have enough onboard storage available to make this easy.

How do i use the ip of the nas in file explorer, have never tried that.

Thanks

DC

Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@DC423 wrote:

Hi, thanks for replying, I currently am unable to access the admin page, during my recent firmware update and the Netgear incistance on marrying my old readynas login/password to the My netgear account has left me locked out, (no passwords work including the original admin/password )

Something wrong here, as the NAS admin account wouldn't have been affected.  Are you logging in directly to the NAS web ui 
( https://nas-ip-address/admin )?

An OS-reinstall from the front panel would change the admin password back to password. See pages 20-22 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

@DC423 wrote:

How do i use the ip of the nas in file explorer, have never tried that.

Enter \\nas-ip-address into the file explorer address bar.  Make sure you use the correct slash.   Note it might prompt you for a NAS account/password.

Message 4 of 10
DC423
Aspirant

Hey there, I am currently logged into the readycloud.netgear.com site. this is where i see my drive, files and folders. when i go to manage page and select the admin page link from the left column next to the main nas drive, thats where it asks me for login info. and i have tried to use the login "admin" and password " password". as well as my old readynas login and my new my Netgear account login with o luck.  I do not remember how to login directly to the ip.

thats where i am at for now.

Thanks

DC

Message 5 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@DC423 wrote:

Hey there, I am currently logged into the readycloud.netgear.com site.

Note you don't need readycloud if you are on the same network as the NAS.

Do you get the login prompt when you connect direct to the NAS IP address (https://nas-ip-address/admin )

Can you access the shares via file explorer?

The change to single-sign-on in readycloud doesn't affect your NAS admin password.  Do you remember that password?  Normally you would have changed it to something other than password.

Message 6 of 10
DC423
Aspirant

Hi, finally got to admin Page!!!! (had to find passowrd notes and try a few combos,- I had moved and changed laptops) so now i am in , forgotten how to use system. if i want to copy all files to an external usb hard drive is that possible in a single activity

Thanks 

DC

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

A NAS is not a "set and forget" device.  That you could not remember your admin password tells me you aren't "checking in" with it very often.  If you have email notifications enabled and use RAIDar from time to time, that can help.  But nothing gives you as much info as logging into the Admin GUI.  Think of it like a routine doctor's visit -- it can help diagnose something before it gets out of hand.

Message 8 of 10
DC423
Aspirant

Thanks for the help and insight. When I purchased it in 2014 My intent was to experiment with a media server using PLex. But after fudling around and trying to understand the intricacies of the NAS unit I kinda let it fall by the wayside. I experimented with using it as purely a raid storage device, but never got excited or fully vested in the system. I guess i was looking for the "See Spot Run" version of NAS backup and it started feeling like "Dr. Seuss" so it sat idle. interestingly enough I didnt really forget  my original password as it was taped to the bottom of the unit but the one that got me in was a hybrid of my old with part of the new MY Netgear account. Dont know how. Anyway I am gonna give the backup to local USB drive a shot just to be sure I have the data, music, photos etc on a drive I can attach directly to Laptop before I start to experiment with this unit again.

Once again Thanks for the help

DC

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

There is a built-in backup facility in the NAS - there is quite a bit of information here: https://kb.netgear.com/29788/ReadyNAS-Backup-FAQ and also in the software manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

But backing up the shares to a PC-attached USB drive will work too.  It's more robust if you connect the PC to your network with ethernet.  While drag-and-drop can be ok, I prefer using a more robust utility for this.  Otherwise network connection drops can result in incomplete copies.  Teracopy is one option - there are others.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements