× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: iTunes sync

gso
Guide
Guide

iTunes sync

Currently I have my iTunes music files on the NAS. I manually copied them to the music folder in ReadyCLOUD. My main source for these files is in my iTunes/music folder on my Mac. The music is outdated on the NAS and I would like to use ReadyCLOUD sync to sync these files using my iTunes/music folder on the computer as the source. Can I do this, and if so, how? Thank you.

G

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 23
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@gso

Here's a guide onusing the ReadyCloud Client sync feature

https://kb.netgear.com/29778/How-do-I-back-up-data-from-Mac-OS-X-to-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-system-using-th...

Please note though that this will create a new Share folder on the NAS. So transferring it to the original NAS Share for your music will need to be done manually.

Another option is to manually transfer it to the folder but I also agree it would be good to automatically sync any changes on your source.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@gso wrote:

Currently I have my iTunes music files on the NAS. I manually copied them to the music folder in ReadyCLOUD. My main source for these files is in my iTunes/music folder on my Mac. The music is outdated on the NAS ...

If the Mac is at home, there are other options than ReadyCLOUD (which has a lot of limitations on syncing).

For instance, FreeFileSync could be installed on the Mac, and could update the music folder on the NAS on a schedule.  It could also back up other files. 

I'd go with something like that myself (unless there's a specific reason you need to use ReadyCloud).

Message 3 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

The link you showed looks pretty straight forward. But I don't understand your caution about having to the transfer manually. Doesn't it say that once I request the backup it will create the folder on the NAS and transfer the data (music in my case) to the NAS? Before I do this I will probably delete my existing NAS Music folder.

Message 4 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

Thanks for the options. I guess I could probably use Carbon Copy Cloner to do this as well but I get a warning I don't understand (attached) so I didn't go ahead with it.

Message 5 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@gso wrote:

Thanks for the options. I guess I could probably use Carbon Copy Cloner to do this as well but I get a warning I don't understand (attached) so I didn't go ahead with it.

You aren't using any credentials when you are accessing the NAS folder - that will work if you allow anonymous access to the share.

Though it would be better to create a user account on the NAS, and use it's username password.

Message 6 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

Thanks. I always have to sign in to my Readycloud account. How would I use a user/pw just for the folder?

Message 7 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@gso wrote:

Thanks. I always have to sign in to my Readycloud account. How would I use a user/pw just for the folder?

I'm not sure why you're using ReadyCloud at all, so that might be worth clarifying.  Is it for remote access (when away from home)?

If you are connected with the ReadyCloud app, you could use your existing ReadyCloud user/password.  If you aren't always using ReadyCloud then you'd create a new account on the NAS accounts page.

As far as using that credential - if you are using finder, you'd choose the option to connect as a registered user, and then enter your user/password.  I'm not a mac owner, so I can't give you much more help than that.  

Message 8 of 23
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@gso

The link you showed looks pretty straight forward. But I don't understand your caution about having to the transfer manually. Doesn't it say that once I request the backup it will create the folder on the NAS and transfer the data (music in my case) to the NAS? Before I do this I will probably delete my existing NAS Music folder.

Oh, I was just saying that once you synced your resource folder, the App will create a new share on the NAS, so if you intend to use your current Share for Music then you will have to transfer it manually.

HTH

Message 9 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

I think all of you convinced me to use Carbon Copy Cloner to transfer my Music (& Photos) to the NAS (setting up a weekly schedule to update files). I got the NAS to be able to have my Music library with me remotely (I use Plex app thru ReadyCLOUD to do this). Is my thinking a good solution?

Message 10 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

I used my NAS server user/pw even tho this is a home computer. Better to delete Music folder on NAS before I Clone it from CCC?

Message 11 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

both the iTunes folder and NAS music has same files but in different order.

Message 12 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@gso wrote:

I got the NAS to be able to have my Music library with me remotely (I use Plex app thru ReadyCLOUD to do this). Is my thinking a good solution?

FWIW, you don't actually need ReadyCloud, since Plex has it's own tools for remote access.  If you find you are having performance problems when away from home, then perhaps switch to them.

@gso wrote:

Is my thinking a good solution?

Yes.  FWIW I use PC-based tools to back up my own PCs to the NAS on a weekly schedule.  

One thing that's good about your approach is that the NAS is also backing up your music library (e.g. you now have two copies of it on different devices).

@gso wrote:

Better to delete Music folder on NAS before I Clone it from CCC?

both the iTunes folder and NAS music has same files but in different order.

You can use the current Music folder, but it would make sense to delete the files/folders in it before you sync.  Note you will also have to rebuild the Plex library.

Message 13 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

I'm "scanning library" now in the Plex app. I that the same as "rebuilding?

Message 14 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@gso wrote:

I'm "scanning library" now in the Plex app. I that the same as "rebuilding?

Yes.  

After that you might need to fix some of the matches.

Message 15 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

Thx, I'll keep an eye out for it. Don't know why I'm doing everything thru Readcloud. Wasn't aware of alternatives when I got the NAS. A bit over my head at the time. I'm still running TimeMachine thru the app (the next time it won't back up I'll try not using Readycloud) but doing everything else with third party apps now. Thanks for the help.

Message 16 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

Maybe I should open a new discusiion but since you all seem to be familiar with my previous issue I thought that maybe you could be helpfull with this.

I sync my Sonos and Plex music libraries with my NAS Music being the source. Both Plex on the web and Sonos are identical but they seem to be syncing with the ReadCloud Plex app & not the NAS Music, don't know why? Any help?

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 17 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

Actuall the Sonos veersion seems fine but using Plex on the Web isn't. MyIOS apps are fine. Maybe updating Metadata?

Message 18 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@gso wrote:

but using Plex on the Web isn't. MyIOS apps are fine. Maybe updating Metadata?

Not sure what you mean.  Plex can take quite a bit of time updating Metadata after you create a library.  What exactly is going wrong?

Message 19 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

I did like you said and deleted my Music folder in the NAS/ReadyCloud. Then Cloned from Carbon Copy Cloner back into the NAS directly from my iTunes/Music folder. My ReadyNAS  & iTunes have the same files but there is a folder called "Various Artists" which I moved all of the data to the root level, so the folder is now empty in both. But in Sonos & Plex & on IOS apps there is 169 albums (the same albums are in the root level.

Message 20 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

I moved the data to the root level of the Itune folder before Cloning to NAS.

Message 21 of 23
StephenB
Guru

@gso wrote:

I did like you said and deleted my Music folder in the NAS/ReadyCloud. Then Cloned from Carbon Copy Cloner back into the NAS directly from my iTunes/Music folder. My ReadyNAS  & iTunes have the same files but there is a folder called "Various Artists" which I moved all of the data to the root level, so the folder is now empty in both. But in Sonos & Plex & on IOS apps there is 169 albums (the same albums are in the root level.

I still don't understand what you think is wrong.  How many albums should there be?

Message 22 of 23
gso
Guide
Guide

Never mind. It's just iTunes way of saying there are several artists. I was concerned there were multiple copies of sam music but it isn't so. Thx.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements