× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: legacy readynas Pro on OS6. How to Upgrade from 2TB to 8TB

miogpsrocks
Tutor

legacy readynas Pro on OS6. How to Upgrade from 2TB to 8TB

So I just upgraded to the OS6 firmware( Firmware 6.9.5 to be exact) 

I have 2TB hard drive and want 8TB hard drive. 

Can I just replease the entire array or do I have to replace 1 drive at a time? 

There is NO DATA currently on the array so that is not a concern. 

Thanks you. 

Model: RNDP600E |ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 7
miogpsrocks
Tutor

In other words, I want to upgrade from 6 X 2TB hard drives to 6 X 8TB hard drives. 

Message 2 of 7
TeknoJnky
Hero

if there is no data, then just power down, pull all the old drives, put all the new drives in, and power back up.

new system will be initiallized and raid 5/x-raid will start resyncing.

if you want raid 6/dual redundancy, then you must delete the default volume, create a new raid 6 volume, then re-enable x-raid (if desired).

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@TeknoJnky wrote:

if there is no data, then just power down, pull all the old drives, put all the new drives in, and power back up.

This is the fastest and best approach.  Replacing one drive at a time in the existing array will take a lot longer.

Message 4 of 7
miogpsrocks
Tutor

Ok, I will do this. 

Just as a side note, which drive/bay is #1? like the bottom left, top left, etc.l.. 

I am trying to find a layout diagram of which bay 1, bay 2, bay 3, bay 4, bay 5, bay 6. 

I have always heard its a good idea to number each drive in case of a problem. 

Thanks. 

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@miogpsrocks wrote:

Just as a side note, which drive/bay is #1? like the bottom left, top left, etc.l.. 

I am trying to find a layout diagram of which bay 1, bay 2, bay 3, bay 4, bay 5, bay 6. 

I've never seen a diagram, it's an odd oversight. 

Your NAS numbers the bays left to right, then top to bottom. (bay 1 upper left, bay 6 lower right).

@miogpsrocks wrote:

It is a good idea, as it makes it much easier to keep them straight if you remove more than one.  I put a label on each drive.

Message 6 of 7
miogpsrocks
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

@miogpsrocks wrote:

I've never seen a diagram, it's an odd oversight. 

Your NAS numbers the bays left to right, then top to bottom. (bay 1 upper left, bay 6 lower right).

@miogpsrocks wrote:

It is a good idea, as it makes it much easier to keep them straight if you remove more than one.  I put a label on each drive.

Thanks for your help. I went ahead and labeled them. If you ever have to take them out to check the drive for a problem or even for recovery, the correct drive number is very important I am told. 

I was downloading the PDF manuals and paging in them, looking at google image search but could not find any diagram.  Now I know why. It was becasue it did not exist.   Maybe something to include for future model documentation?

Thanks again. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements