× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

looking for advice on drives for Duo v1

alokeprasad
Mentor

looking for advice on drives for Duo v1

I found the HCL list for legacy devices

https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

Those specific drive models are either not available, or available used or at very high prices.  There are newer versions of those drives (even in the 2 TB max limit for the Duo v1.)

Would you advise me to use the newer versions of the same drive family, or try and aquire matched disk for my failing Barracuda 7200.14 ST2000DM001?

Aloke

PS: I want to keep using the Duo v1 even if I get a new NAS.. maybe as a JBOD to backup the data fromthe new NAS.  As such, I need to replace my Disk 2.

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: looking for advice on drives for Duo v1

I use a WD20EFRX myself, though I'm sure a 2 TB Ironwolf would also work.

I don't recommend using desktop drives in NAS anymore, as I think NAS-purpose drives are better choices.

FWIW, I do have my duo set up with two 2TB volumes in order to maximize it's capacity.  I am only using it as a tertiary backup, so I don't need RAID redundancy.

Message 2 of 4
alokeprasad
Mentor

You chose newer "red" WD drive over ones in the offical compat list (from way back when).  I will end up doing the same after I get  a new NAS installed and relegate the Duo as a backup to that NAS.

In the mean time.. I'll keep watch on SMART errors from both of my legacy Barracudas (one old, one purchased yesterday to replace my Disk 2).

Model: ReadyNAS RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@alokeprasad wrote:

You chose newer "red" WD drive over ones in the offical compat list (from way back when).  

Yes.  The problem is that the list is from "way back when", and hasn't been updated for years.  I see no reason to track down obsolete disks (and then paying a premium price to get them).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements