× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: lost volume after replace disk in Pro Pioneer Edition

nicho2014
Aspirant

lost volume after replace disk in Pro Pioneer Edition

After I replace a broken disk in the Pro Pioneer Edition, I lost volumes and got two alert emails. How can I recover the volumes?

Thanks,

Nicho

1. first alert email:

***** File system check performed at Tue Jan 14 13:25:11 WET 2014 ***** fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010) e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/c/c

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

2. second alert email:

The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume.
vault
data
[Tue Jan 14 13:25:22 WET 2014]
Message 1 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

What alerts did you get before you replaced the disk?
Were there any problems with the other disks before this happened (smart errors)?
How many disks are in the NAS?
Were you using xraid?
What happened after you replaced the broken disk and are you certain that you replaced the correct disk?
Do you have a backup?
Have you logged a support request? even if the unit is not under warranty they may help you for a fee.
Message 2 of 6
nicho2014
Aspirant

>What alerts did you get before you replaced the disk?
I got alert email of "Disk 6 did not pass SMART self-assessment test. Please replace this disk as soon as possible.". Then I found status of disk 6 was dead.

>Were there any problems with the other disks before this happened (smart errors)?
Disk 2 also did not pass SMART self-assessment test, but its status was OK.

>How many disks are in the NAS?
six.

>Were you using xraid?
X-RAID2, single-redundency.

>What happened after you replaced the broken disk and are you certain that you replaced the correct disk?
I replace a brand new disk. The disk is compatible with the broken one that I check from the compatible list. After I replace the broken disk, I rebooted the machine and a while later I got email:
RAID sync finished on volume C. The array is still in degraded mode, however. This can be caused by a disk sync failure or failed disks in a multi-parity disk array.
[Tue Jan 14 13:08:44 WET 2014]

>Do you have a backup?
No.

>Have you logged a support request? even if the unit is not under warranty they may help you for a fee.
I will do.
Message 3 of 6
vandermerwe
Master

Disk 2 may have failed during the resync.
After the resync success/ degraded volume message could you access your data?
Unfortunately I think you may have lost your data, but see if support can help you.
Message 4 of 6
thebas
Aspirant

Hi nicho2014

Could you find a solution for your problem? I have the same one, and want to know if netgear suppor could help you.

Thanks!

Thebas
Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Every case is different. Data recovery has a cost and it may/may not be successful.

In future it would be advisable to keep backups of important data. No important data should be stored on just the one device.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements