× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

mixing drives

prometheus1
Aspirant

mixing drives

I looking to add another 2 drives to my ultra 4, currently i have 2 2tb Seagate ST32000542AS drives in there and planning to add another 2 drives but samsung drives.

am i likely to have any issues mixing these drives 😄
Message 1 of 7
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: mixing drives

My magic 8 ball says, results in-conclusive.
Message 2 of 7
prometheus1
Aspirant

TeknoJnky wrote:
My magic 8 ball says, results in-conclusive.

funny boy :lol:
Message 3 of 7
WhoCares_
Mentor

mixing drives

The real question is *what* Samsung drives you're planning to use. If the geometry is the same as the one of the Seagate drives there shouldn't be any problems. But if you're going to mix your current 512 bytes per sector drives with 4k per sector drives or toss in "green" drives, TJ's post is spot on 🙂

-Stefan
Message 4 of 7
prometheus1
Aspirant

i had these in mind
Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA 5400RPM 32MB Cache

but i am open to suggestions on any brand
Message 5 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Those are 4k sector drives. Provided your array was setup in the Ultra (not moved from an older x86 ReadyNAS) you should have setup the array on 4.2.12 (or later), already have 4k sector alignment and it should work fine.
Message 6 of 7
prometheus1
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Those are 4k sector drives. Provided your array was setup in the Ultra (not moved from an older x86 ReadyNAS) you should have setup the array on 4.2.12 (or later), already have 4k sector alignment and it should work fine.

thanks fella thats what i needed to hear
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements