× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: mount_block_root +25e Help - any ideas how to fix this

JohnTemple
Follower

mount_block_root +25e Help - any ideas how to fix this

Help - Can't get into boot menu or do anything with my ReadyNAS RN31400. Had a ower cut and the above error appeared.

Nothing working - can't get into BOOT Menu using the reset button, or boot from USB. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks John

Model: RN31441D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 58
StephenB
Guru

@JohnTemple wrote:

Help - Can't get into boot menu or do anything with my ReadyNAS RN31400. Had a ower cut and the above error appeared.

Nothing working - can't get into BOOT Menu using the reset button, or boot from USB. Any help much appreciated.

I suggest powering down the NAS, and removing all the disks (labeling by slot).  Then boot up the NAS, and see if the NAS boots normally (giving a "no disks" status), or if you still see the mount_block_root +25e error.

If you still do see it, then there was some damage to the chassis (likely the flash) when the power was cut. The warranty is 5 years, so you might want to check if you are still covered.

Message 2 of 58
GSVB
Aspirant

@JohnTemple  Did you try this solution?  Did it work?

Message 3 of 58
arlington
Aspirant

I removed all six drives, powered up and still see the message "mount_block_root +25e"

Is there a way to repair the unit?

If not, do I have options for recovering the data that is stored across those 6 drives?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 4 of 58
StephenB
Guru

@arlington wrote:

I removed all six drives, powered up and still see the message "mount_block_root +25e"

Best not to duplicate your posts.

Message 5 of 58
Mfisch23
Tutor

We lost power on Tuesday and i just realised now that my ReadyNAS isn't working i see the same Mount_Block_Root +25e error on my LCD.  I removed all the drives and booted it but still get the same message. Is there anything i can do? i have a RN31600 so it's no longer under warranty. Am i screwed? 

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 6 of 58
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Mfisch23,

Have you tried doing a USB boot recovery? You may try that first and see if you can recover your NAS using that method. You may check this article for the procedure.

Regards,

Message 7 of 58
Mfisch23
Tutor

I will try that now and i will let you know. Thanks for the responce. 

Mike

Message 8 of 58
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Mfisch23,

In case that USB boot recovery the first time you did it, it will be best to try using several USB flash drives. The USB boot recovery some times does not work on some USB flash drives.

Regards,

Message 9 of 58
Mfisch23
Tutor

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Hi @Mfisch23,

In case that USB boot recovery the first time you did it, it will be best to try using several USB flash drives. The USB boot recovery some times does not work on some USB flash drives.

Regards,

I tried with the frist USB and i still got the error. I created another USB and it has been stuck on the screen that says Boot from external USB for like 5 minutes now. How long does it take? 

Message 10 of 58
Mfisch23
Tutor

@Mfisch23 wrote:

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Hi @Mfisch23,

Regards,

I tried with the frist USB and i still got the error. I created another USB and it has been stuck on the screen that says Boot from external USB for like 5 minutes now. How long does it take? 

I now have tried with multiple USB's and it won't get past the screen that says Boot from External USB.

Message 11 of 58
Sandshark
Sensei

Do any of the USB drives you used have a access LED so you know if it's even being accessed?

Message 12 of 58
Mfisch23
Tutor

@Sandshark wrote:

Do any of the USB drives you used have a access LED so you know if it's even being accessed?

The frist one did but the rest of the USB drives didn't i tried 4.

Message 13 of 58
Sandshark
Sensei

@Mfisch23 wrote:

@Sandshark wrote:

The frist one did but the rest of the USB drives didn't i tried 4.

And did it show access more than a quick blip?

Message 14 of 58
Thelostboy
Aspirant

Hey guys!
I’ve got the same error message on my NAS after a power cut to. Has anyone managed to fix this issue yet? I’m still having issues creating a recovery usb stick, in the firmware version drop down box there is nothing to select & so won’t do anything. I have tried 5 different usb sticks. Please help!
Message 15 of 58
Mfisch23
Tutor

@Thelostboy wrote:
Hey guys!
I’ve got the same error message on my NAS after a power cut to. Has anyone managed to fix this issue yet? I’m still having issues creating a recovery usb stick, in the firmware version drop down box there is nothing to select & so won’t do anything. I have tried 5 different usb sticks. Please help!

It sounds like you skipped a step. you need to do step 5 if you don't move the img file into the right firware folder when you try to run it, it don't know what img to use. Hope this helps you because my ReadyNAS is still broken. 😞

1. Download the USB Recovery Tool.
  2. Extract os6-recovery-tool.zip to a new folder on your desktop.
  3. Download the latest firmware package for your ReadyNAS model:
    1. Visit ReadyNAS OS 6 Support.
    • If you're using a ReadyNAS 100, 200, 210, or 2120 series model, download the ARM firmware package.
    • If you're using any other ReadyNAS series, download the x86 package.
  4. Extract the firmware file (.img) and release notes from the zip file to the same folder you used for the USB Recovery Tool.
  5. Open the Recovery Tool folder on your desktop and move the firmware file into it:
    • If the ReadyNAS is an RN100 or RN2120 series model, move the firmware file into the Arm folder.
    • If the ReadyNAS is a 200 or 210 series model, move the firmware file into the rn2xx folder.
    • If the ReadyNAS is a 310, 420, 510, 520, 620, 710, 3130/3138, 3220, 3312, 4220, or 4300 series model, move the firmware file into the x86 folder.
Message 16 of 58
Thelostboy
Aspirant

Hey Mfisch23!

If it wasn’t for this virus going round I would reach through the internet & give you a massive kiss!!! You are a star! Thank you for pointing out what seems really obvious now! I managed to make a boot drive & on my second attempt it worked! My NAS is now working again, thanks to you! Give yourself a treat tonight! Thank you so much!

Sorry to hear yours is still out of action. I’m not sure if you’ve tried this but when mine came up with Boot From USB drive on the display I pressed OK rather than waiting. Worth a go if you haven’t tried, also like Sandshark suggested try with a stick with a LED on so at least you know if something is happening. For reference mine took less than 5 minutes to reinstall OS.

I hope you find the solution to your issue quickly, it’s a pain when it goes down. Once again, thank you for your help!
Message 17 of 58
Mfisch23
Tutor

I'm so glad it worked for you!!  Unfortunatly i tried again with a USB that has an LED. It is stuck on the boot screen and the LED is light up as it is being used but it's been well over 30 minutes and still stuck at the screen. i don't know what to do. i tried hitting the OK button like you said but it does nothing. 😞   All my movies are stored on this drive and my Kids are complaining. HA 

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks! 

Message 18 of 58
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Mfisch23,

I think in your case, it will be best if you contact NETGEAR Support so they can do some hardware check and provide an RMA for the chassis if needed.

Your NAS still has hardware warranty until June 21, 2020 upon checking it on our system.

Regards,

Message 19 of 58
MCJCALVI80
Tutor

I had this same problem and i was trying to reload software on multiple usb drives and nothing was working. Then while searching on the netgear community for a solution, someone mentioned to run the USB software as administrator. So, I plugged in my USB drive right clicked the usb exe file and clicked on run as administrator and reformatted drive. I reinstalled the recovery software on the same usb drive and tried loading from usb and it worked. Im not sure if running as administrator made a difference but as soon as I did that nas was able to recover from usb. Hopefully this works for anyone with the same issues.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay (Diskless)
Message 20 of 58
Mfisch23
Tutor

@JohnCM_S wrote:

Hi @Mfisch23,

I think in your case, it will be best if you contact NETGEAR Support so they can do some hardware check and provide an RMA for the chassis if needed.

Your NAS still has hardware warranty until June 21, 2020 upon checking it on our system.

Regards,

Thanks John i will do that!

Message 21 of 58
hiLzbvsN
Tutor

Will the process delete the stored data?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 22 of 58
Mfisch23
Tutor

I went out and bought a newer USB stick and tried once more and was able to boot from the USB and got everything back up and running.

@hiLzbvsN wrote:

Will the process delete the stored data?

No it did not wipe my data.

Message 23 of 58
Thelostboy
Aspirant

When I carried out this process it did not delete any data from the HDDs & took under 5 minutes to complete.
Message 24 of 58
Sandshark
Sensei

It's great that everybody has gotten past this.  But I do find it odd that it seems to be significantly more common with this update than any other.  Just wondering if Netgear should investigate whether the size of the update or something else that's new is to blame and can be mittigated in future updates. 

Message 25 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements