× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: mount_block_root +25e Help - any ideas how to fix this

stephenloach
Aspirant

Hi

I have a RN316. It was under warranty but when approached the supplier they wasnt a authorised retailer so netgear wouldnt help and neither did they.

I have tried about 5 usb sticks with no joy. The nas doesnt seem to recognise the usb drive. I hold the reset but while powering on, tge usb stick light blinks to say connected and thats it, nothing staight to rout block etc. The sticks led doesnt change state so im out of options. I have ordered an old job lot of usb sticks from ebay, after this im at the end of the road

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2

Get Outlook for Android

Message 51 of 58
mdgm
Virtuoso

You’re not following the correct process for the 316. The reset button has nothing to do with doing USB Boot Recovery with the RN316.

If the system has an old BIOS then the process to boot off USB is tricky. If you press the O.K. button too soon or too late it will fail to boot off USB.

The O.K. Button is on the front of the unit.

To boot off USB:
1. Power off the ReadyNAS
2. Plug the USB key into the front USB port
3. Power on the NAS and wait for the touch key LEDs to go off after full brightness (This happens around 5th second after power on).
4. Press and hold the OK button as soon as the LEDs go off (You must be quick here, you can't press sooner because the touch key needs self-calibration, you can't press later, the boot priority will be set within 3 seconds. You don't need to press too hard, but you do need to make sure that the O.K. LED is turned on).
5. Release the OK button once you see "Boot from external USB" shown on the display
6. Wait until the system powers off by itself.

If you have a later BIOS then it should automatically boot off a NTGR USB Boot Recovery key on boot without needing to press any buttons other than to turn the NAS on. From what you’ve posted I suspect you don’t have a later BIOS.
Message 52 of 58
stephenloach
Aspirant

Hi

Thank you for the reply, i tried this process around 18 month ago when it happened but i didnt have has much detail as you provided. I will keep my fingers crossed and try again tonight. Many thanks for youre help.
Message 53 of 58
stephenloach
Aspirant

Hi

I gave it ago but the lights come on instantly on boot ang go straight off. I do see the light on the usb flicker but nothing from the nas. Ill upload a quick video if i can and a pic off the usb drives. Many thanks for youre help
Message 54 of 58
mdgm
Virtuoso

It can take multiple goes to get the timing right as to when to press the O.K. button. After the LEDs go off, when you press the O.K. button it should light up again.

Message 55 of 58
stephenloach
Aspirant

Hi thanks for youre reply. Is there anyway i can send you a video just in case you see something i dont. The ok light never stays on with a touch, it only comes on and goes off
Message 56 of 58
mdgm
Virtuoso

That should be fine. I don't think it's meant to stay on after you stop pressing it, but it should be lit up whilst you are touching it.

Getting the timing right for pressing the button can take multiple attempts. So I would try multiple times with each USB key.

You can upload videos to e.g. YouTube, if you want.

Message 57 of 58
tgitmichael
Initiate

to anyone reading this old thread. I just had a ReadyNAS 516 throw this error. Found this thread and followed the usb recovery steps in the first linked KB article. 

After trying 15 times across 2 usb sticks I had success by rappidly pressing the "OK" button immediatly after the backlight turned off on boot. Once i saw the usb booting text I didn't touch the NAS till it powered off. 

Not sure if this helped me but it is worth trying for those stuck with this error.

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay Diskless
Message 58 of 58
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements