× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

mount_block_root +267 error RN516 out of warranty by 2 months

h0mer
Tutor

mount_block_root +267 error RN516 out of warranty by 2 months

Owned and running my 516 since 2013. A true work horse. 

I went to move the unit, properly shut it down, for some construction being done in my basement. 

Plugged it in, turned it on, now I get "mount_block_root +267" error on screen during boot.

I tried a USB recovery procedure, light flashes twice on the USB stick but nothing happens differently on boot despite me holding in the OK button after turning it on. 

so now I'm desperately trying to figure out what to do next:

1. Could it be bad RAM? Should I try to replace this? 

2. I read in other threads Netgear does not sell motherboard replacements?

3. I don't want to buy another 516 just to recover my data- what are my other options to load my array (6 drives, RAID 5)

4. Is there a newer model Readynas I could buy and put my 6 drives in that and just have it recognize my array?

5. Build my own PCs but don't do well with command line, any other options?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: mount_block_root +267 error RN516 out of warranty by 2 months

It might not be the chassis hardware.

Remove the disks (labeling by slot), and then insert a test disk (that you don't mind reformatting).  Then try to do a factory default via the boot menu.  See pages 120-121 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Let us know if that procedure works.

Message 2 of 7
h0mer
Tutor

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the unit will not boot or give me anything other than the error above whether the disks are in the chasis or not. 

Message 3 of 7
h0mer
Tutor

Also, I did try holding the reset button in and turning the unit on to get into boot mode. That does not work either.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@h0mer wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, the unit will not boot or give me anything other than the error above whether the disks are in the chasis or not. 

Then it's likely to be the flash memory.  USB recovery is the right solution, but it is a tricky procedure.  Perhaps try again with a different flash drive.

Though I haven't needed to do a USB recovery myself, I've been told that it can be tricky to press the O.K. button at just the right moment.

Message 5 of 7
h0mer
Tutor

So after going through 8 USB drives and a LOT of reboot attempts while plugging in the HDMI to a screen, so I could see when the BIOS triggered boot setup, the reFLASH WORKED!!!!!

So, for anyone who gets this error, definitely be persistent using the recovery utility to make a USB drive that works for re-flash. 

Message 6 of 7
MarcJinger
Aspirant

Hello Homer,

I got EXACTLY the same issue ! Could you be so kind to indicate me how you prepared your USB boot as I followed very carefully their procedure but it do not work at all. 

I used their Recovery tool, I loaded the right (supposed to be) ReadyNASOS-6.10.0-x86_64 ; I plugged a screen + keyboard to make sure the boot priority  is on USB : nothing ! I even used the USB autoboot formatter Rufus : nada.  Was in your case their official Recovery tool enough to do the job ? Do you think I have to change for other USB keys (I already used 3) ?

Did you just follow their recovery procedure (launching their "usbrecovery" little tool (please see capture) ?

Allways problems with netgear...

Thanks for your help if you can !

Marc

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements