× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: my READY NAS 104 just died last night

chemist3
Aspirant

my READY NAS 104 just died last night

Last night I went to check why ReadyNAS 104 v6.10.7 was not showing on my network in order to upload some files.

I Just found it switched off, tried several times to turn it on with no luck, initially I thought ok the external power supply is dead and I'm gonna need to buy a new one.

After few moments I decided that maybe its not the power supply, so I disconnected the power cord and removed the power connector from the device. I tried it on another different power outlet .... and boom .... power supply led went green (lives again) while its not connected to the ReadyNAS 104. so the power supply is not dead.

next step, I said let try again so I reconnected the power supply to the ReadyNAS and the result when I post the front power button .... the front display led starts trying to switch on without luck (start flashing the screen) and after a while the power supply green led fades out mmmmmm

I decided to go back to basics ....

1) removed all my 4 x 4TB HDD's

2) removed both (2) my network cables

3) removed the power connecter

ok lets's try to connect the power connector and try to switch the ReadyNAS diskless and not connected to the network. 3. 2. 1. ReadyNAS goes live and start booting,  a bit slower since its diskless but its working ....

then I tried to connect the networks cable ... its works again ... and I also managed to access ReadyNAS webpage .... all settings are gone ... and looks like in need to reinstall everything.

Next step was to start reconnecting the hard drives .... and crap here we go again .. ReadyNAS switches off as soon I connect any hard drives in any of the 4 bays.

Please anyone knows a solution or can help me to get my ReadyNAS up and running to normal ideally without losing my almost 10 years work of files.

Thank you

Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@chemist3 wrote:

ideally without losing my almost 10 years work of files.

Unfortunately, RAID is not enough to keep data safe.  Hopefully you won't lose data - after you get through this, I suggest putting a backup plan in place.

Message 2 of 8
chemist3
Aspirant

well first I need to solve the ReadyNAS turn on and hopefully booting fine and then I should be able to make a backup.

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@chemist3 wrote:

well first I need to solve the ReadyNAS turn on and hopefully booting fine and then I should be able to make a backup.

Agreed.

Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Your symptoms definitely sound like a bad power supply.  With no load (and generating little heat), it may be working.  But the supply LED turning off when under load either means the supply is bad (showing the symptoms as it heats up) or the NAS is drawing too large a load.  The supply being bad is more likely, I think.

Message 5 of 8
chemist3
Aspirant

Thanks @Sandshark your logic make sense. I'm gonna look to purchase a new power supply for the ReadyNAS 104 especially since last night I totally dismantled the ReadyNas and all the mainboard looks fine even the daughter board. I didn't see any burn marks.

Message 6 of 8
chemist3
Aspirant

I managed to order a similar specs power supply I just hope it works and I can rebuild or recover my data.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@chemist3 wrote:

I managed to order a similar specs power supply I just hope it works and I can rebuild or recover my data.

Hopefully that will resolve the hardware issue.  If you see an inactive volume problem when you power up, let us know.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements