× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

netgear readynas nitial setup problem - model name RN42200

humadon1
Aspirant

netgear readynas nitial setup problem - model name RN42200

Hello community,

Just in the process of setting up our new server. I have went ahead and set it up and have one 4Tb hard drive but unable to see the second one located in bay 2. Is there an easy way to activate this please?

see pic.

Thanks!

Model: RN4220S|ReadyNAS 4220 2xSFP+ (chassis only)
Message 1 of 5
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: netgear readynas nitial setup problem - model name RN42200

Hi humadon1,

Welcome to the Community!

When you said you are not able to see the second disk located in bay 2, do you mean the NAS cannot detect that disk or it the second disk does not sync with your existing volume?

If the NAS does not sync with your existing volume, what is the RAID configured on your NAS? Is it X-RAID or Flex-RAID? You can check this one by accessing https://<ReadyNAS IP address>, where <ReadyNAS IP address> is the local IP address of the NAS, then go to System> Volumes.

You may also provide us a screenshot of the Volumes tab.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Unless you changed your NAS from XRAID to Fl;exRAID and expressly told it to add the second disk as JBOD, RAID0, or a separate volume, then your second drive is probably seen and providing RAID redundancy for your first drive, not extra space..

Message 3 of 5
humadon1
Aspirant

John,

Everything seems to be working fine except for the second drive not showing.

When I go to System - volumes (see attached screenshot) I only see one drive.

When I run the RAIDar it shows two drives - see screen shot.

However, when I go in to the ReadyCLOUD I only see one drive

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@humadon1 wrote:

When I go to System - volumes (see attached screenshot) I only see one drive.

Your screenshot isn't showing the volume page.  You need to log into the NAS admin UI (for instance by clicking on "admin" in RAIDar, or by browsing to https://10.1.10.252/admin

The volume page looks like this:

volume-page.png

So log into the admin web ui and look at that page (selecting "system" in the top row, and "volume" in the second row).

But I think @Sandshark is already pointing you in the right direction - and that what you are seeing is normal behavior.

First of all, there is a difference between a volume and a disk.  With RAID, a volume usually is built from more than one disk. When you look at the volume page, I'm pretty sure you will see a screen shot similar to the one I posted above (except yours will show two 4 TB drives).

That is, you'll also see a single RAID-1 volume called "data".  That volume is built from both your disks. 

You'll notice that in my screenshot the capacity of the volume is 1 TB, even though the total of the disks is 2 TB.  That is a result of RAID-1.  The two disks are mirrored (everything written to one is written to the other).  That protects my data if one disk fails.

First let's confirm that you are seeing a 4 TB RAID-1 volume on that page.  Then we can talk through whether that is the right mode for you, and what options you have if it isn't the right mode.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements