× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

new RN21400 RND-4E Do I have to format drives being inserted

skeleton567
Aspirant

new RN21400 RND-4E Do I have to format drives being inserted

Have just unpacked new unit.  Can I safely insert currently populataed SATA drives that contain valuable data, or do they HAVE to be reformatted?  I do not need RAID at this point, and just want my data on network storage.  Disks are two brand new SATA 1TB each.Also have two other SATA drives to install next for more network storage.  Just want to be sure my data is safe and will not be erased.    

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
skeleton567
Aspirant

Re: new RN21400 RND-4E Do I have to format drives being inserted

Well, thank you for the replay.  Unfortunately, I just printed the return shipping label.  This appeared to be a great solution, but I have 4 sata drives that are already populated.  It seems I can't just populate the drive bays and use them as they are as network shared drives.  I use off-line storage for backups.  I would use this device if it didn't require that I 'start from scratch'.    I've used WD products for many years, and am sorry this one doesn't meet my current need.  

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The NAS will format the disks even if you aren't using RAID.  So any data on them will be lost.

Message 2 of 3
skeleton567
Aspirant

Well, thank you for the replay.  Unfortunately, I just printed the return shipping label.  This appeared to be a great solution, but I have 4 sata drives that are already populated.  It seems I can't just populate the drive bays and use them as they are as network shared drives.  I use off-line storage for backups.  I would use this device if it didn't require that I 'start from scratch'.    I've used WD products for many years, and am sorry this one doesn't meet my current need.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements