× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

randomly missing files

b1jzcbx
Tutor

randomly missing files

Hi folks,

I know someone's going to respond with "always make backups.."  i know i know..  but this is different, so bear with me..

I have an old RNDP6000-100 that was upgraded to the latest readynas OS 6.10.8.  I've also upgraded with a xeon 3230 (runs great!  I dunno why so many concern themselves with heat), and 4GB of ram. 

My drive setup is as follows:  4TB HDDs x4 in raid5 for storage, and 512GB SSD's x2 in Raid0 for caching of nzb's and torrents during reassembly (for speed, works great). downloads are processed on the SSD's for speed and then are automatically moved to the raid5 HDD's for permanent storage.  I'm not concerned if the ssd's fail because they're meant as temporary storage and to eliminate the thrashing the HDDs would face if i used them for caching..  

The nas's primary use is for movie/show storage to play out via DLNA to my tv's and obviously data protection.

Every so often, a movie or two that i know i once had will just "disappear"..   so, i'm forced to try downloading it again..   needless to say it's worrisome because files shouldn't just "disappear". 

before you say "use a backup", if i were to set it up to rsync to another location, i'd think that file would disappear on the backup as well..  

sorry for the long-winded post

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: randomly missing files

@b1jzcbx wrote:

Every so often, a movie or two that i know i once had will just "disappear"..   so, i'm forced to try downloading it again..   needless to say it's worrisome because files shouldn't just "disappear". 

Are they disappearing from the temporary SSD or the the hard disk?

If this is the hard disk, then maybe enable snapshots for the share, and then see if the missing file shows up in one of the snapshots.  I suggest custom snapshots,so you have control over retention.  (Don't enable snapshots on the SSD, since they will result in extreme disk fragmentation on a torrent folder).

Have you looked for disk or btrfs issues in the log?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements