× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ready NAS21400 playing up after firmware update

haywardsteve
Aspirant

ready NAS21400 playing up after firmware update

after the update to the firmware was upoloaded the drine seems to be playing up as I cannot access any of the files stored on there (over 4TB of data) the drive activity led is flashing all the time but I can not drill down the file tree to the file I require to access using both file manager and Raider (latest version).

Can anybody help me sort out whats going on as its happening on both my NAS units and I want to access my data,Drives are only 6 months old and cost me alot of money BUT my DATA IS PRICELESS and I donot want to lose it.

I am NOT a Computer nerd so any help needs to be simple

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
haywardsteve
Aspirant

I have found the firmware update turned " ON " both the anti virus and indexing feature of the NAS and it was in the middle of scanning the drives, But it takes days to scan and index 7 Tbyte of files so when it finished things returned to normal.

WHY ARE WE OPTED INTO SOMETHING WITHOUT BEING INFORMED ABOUT IT

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Hopchen
Prodigy

Hi @haywardsteve 

Can you still access the NAS via the web admin page?

Cheers.

Message 2 of 5
haywardsteve
Aspirant

Yes I can read the folder tree but it Takes ages to show the folder tree BUT i cannot move files between tiers of the tree IE between folders and sub folders.

I want to clean up the files by creating sub folders to move the files into BUT the NAS just sits there not doing anything Some times I get a not responding error on file explorer.

All this time the drive has a green led flashing ( the righthand one showing drive access) this is after 2 days,This led does not go out even after the computers all all switched off.

The two NAS units (two NAS units with 4 2TB drives with and  permanet IP address's) hold my film,video and music files which I have collected over the years and I do not want to lose this data. Before the firmware update they were working fine (or so it seems) but slowly and now after the update and updateing Raidator the problem started and I have no clue in how to fix this so I would like a simple way to fix in a way I can understand without having to lose all of my data.

WHY DO COMPUTER MANAFACTORS ALWAYS MUCK UP OTHER PEOPLES SYSTEM WITH THEIR UPDATES, I AM ALWAYS HAVING TO RESET UP MY MACHINES BECAUSE MICROSOFT DOES NOT LIKE SOMETHING THAT  I USE LIKE HOME GROUPS BEING REMOVED WITHOUT ANYTHING REPLACING IT TO FORCE YOU TO USE THEIR CLOUD SYSTEM ( I DO NOT TRUST CLOUD SERVERS BEING SECURE TO LEAKAGE 0 

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200
Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Have you looked in the admin web UI to see if the NAS is doing anything unusual?  Or instance, resyncing the volume, or perhaps running a volume scrub or a balance?  These should show up in the log page, and perhaps also as notifications on the volume page.

Also,

• What firmware are you running (please give the version, not "latest")?
  • how full is the data volume on the two ReadyNAS?  
  • How are you trying to move the files - Windows explorer?  Or some other way?

One aspect here - if you want to keep your data safe, you need to have backups (at least one copy on another device).  Are you doing that?  For example, is your second NAS a backup NAS, or is it just additional storage?

Message 4 of 5
haywardsteve
Aspirant

I have found the firmware update turned " ON " both the anti virus and indexing feature of the NAS and it was in the middle of scanning the drives, But it takes days to scan and index 7 Tbyte of files so when it finished things returned to normal.

WHY ARE WE OPTED INTO SOMETHING WITHOUT BEING INFORMED ABOUT IT

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements