× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ready nas duo v2 rnd2110 can i put the disks of the into the new RN212?

Toppy_12
Follower

ready nas duo v2 rnd2110 can i put the disks of the into the new RN212?

Hi

I hope someone could help and provide some advice as I am not that tech savy

I have an old netgear ready nas duo v2 rnd2110 (bought in 2010) that has been working nicely for years. now it just freezes and cannot get access unles it reboots. I was recommend this by a frien and it has worked nicley upto now

Have been looking at upgrading to the new RN 212

Question I have is, can  I put the two 2 Tb RAID disks that I currently have into the rn212 without lossing any data? is it compaitble?

Model: RND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 1TB (1 X 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: ready nas duo v2 rnd2110 can i put the disks of the into the new RN212?

@Toppy_12 wrote:

I have an old netgear ready nas duo v2 rnd2110 (bought in 2010)

If you purchased in 2010, then you must have the original Duo (called a v1 here).  The Duo v2 was introduced in late 2011.

The original (v1) Duo

• says ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel
  • runs 4.1.x firmware
  • often has other labels that have "v2" on them

The Duo v2

• says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front panel
  • runs 5.3.x firmware

@Toppy_12 wrote:

Question I have is, can  I put the two 2 Tb RAID disks that I currently have into the rn212 without lossing any data? is it compatible?

You can't migrate the disks - the formatting is not compatible.  If the disks are old, you probably should start again with new ones.

If you aren't backing up your NAS, then I suggest that you should put a backup plan in place with the new one.  The least expensive way to do that is to purchase a USB drive for backup.  Begin by backing up the Duo - the fastest way is to connect the USB drive to a PC and back it up over the network.  Connecting the PC with ethernet is faster (and often more reliable) than WiFi.  

BTW - the freezing you are seeing now might be because a disk is failing. 

• How old are the drives? 
  • What model drives are you using
  • Have you looked at the SMART statistics in the admin web ui?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements