× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: readyNAS 214 new install write speed low

eddy291
Aspirant

readyNAS 214 new install write speed low

moved across from the wrong forum

Can anyone help with low write transfer speeds to a new RN214 with 2x4Tb drives, just installed. It is connected via ethernet to a satellite disk of a BT Whole Home premier 3 disk wifi set up like this:

the PC > wifi to BT Whole Home disk no 3 good signal > wifi to master disk no 1 good signal (which is connected via ethernet to a BT home hub2 with its own wifi off and direct external fibre connection) > wifi connection to satellite disk no 2 signal shows good at -66 > via ethernet to the NAS

The broadband speed overall to external internet via wifi from disk 2 where the NAS is connected is download 50MB and upload about 10 using my phone connected via wifi. However, file transfer from a PC on the network runs at about 2 or 3 MBytes/s (based on Win10 file explorer speed) and often sinks to 1 or even 0.5. Even if it manages 4 for a bit it quickly falls, and after a few hours it drops suddenly to around 1 . The NAS was set up using the phone app and all seems well except perhaps teh CPU temperature at 63 degrees, but its been runnign continuously 24 hours copying files. The wifi is 5GHz and the home hub wifi is switched off so there is only one mesh wifi network from the Whole Home set up. (this has potentially over 1500 MB/s speed). Where do I start to look to increase the speed, It is taking over a day to save 190GB to the NAS. I cannot really connect the NAS direct to the PC, I need it to run via wifi. What speed should I expect. Is this it?

Related secondary question: If I connect a second NAS to the second ethernet port on satellite disk no 2 (both NAS to same disk) can I expect higher speeds from one NAS to another - do the packets travel direct at NAS/ethernet speeds or do they come all the way up the network to the PC on whcih the copy command was made =and then back to the second NAS. Either way this isnt working either. I only get the same slow speed from one NAS to the other (the second one is an old NV+) as I do from the PC over Wifi.

I have Trend micro security agent running and this is managed by my employer and I do not have rights to alter it but I see no CPU activity for this in Task manager and I see no evidence of it scanning the files being copied.

When I look in task manager it shows network activity going up and down from 0 to a max of 4% over periods of about 10 seconds, the speed shown rises up to about 12 or 15 Mbits/sec and falls back down to zero for several seconds. After all night of copying it is now running at less than 1 MBytes/sec, often less than half that.  PC memory and utilisation of all resources very low.

I am a bit computer literate but not network savvy, I have read many threads but am wary of following suggestions in old threads until I am confident thay are the best approach.  Where do I start?

thanks all, Eddy

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@eddy291 wrote:

Can anyone help with low write transfer speeds to a new RN214 with 2x4Tb drives, just installed. It is connected via ethernet to a satellite disk of a BT Whole Home premier 3 disk wifi set up like this:

the PC > wifi to BT Whole Home disk no 3 good signal > wifi to master disk no 1 good signal (which is connected via ethernet to a BT home hub2 with its own wifi off and direct external fibre connection) > wifi connection to satellite disk no 2 signal shows good at -66 > via ethernet to the NAS

I am finding the description of the network setup a bit confusing.  But it sounds like you have a mesh wifi system (BT Whole Home), with the PC connected to the mesh and the NAS connected to the main router.

The first thing is that you need to make sure the RAID array is fully synced before evaluating performance.  So perhaps begin by checking that the NAS is synced via the NAS web ui.

After that, it would be best to test a wired ethernet connection to the NAS.  Is it practical to connect a PC to via ethernet direct to the BT home hub?

If you can do that, then try using this tool to measure the speed:  http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

Message 2 of 4
eddy291
Aspirant

apologies for the confusion, the PC and NAS are on separate disks of a mesh wi fi system, neither the "master" or first disk in the system

The volume was fully syncd before I started

If thats the way forward I will try that, it will take a few days before I can do it easily,

Eddy

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@eddy291 wrote:

If thats the way forward I will try that, it will take a few days before I can do it easily,

The issue is most likely with either the mesh wifi or the NAS itself.

So checking the NAS with end-to-end ethernet is a good next step.  If that also has the low performance, then the wifi is ruled out.  If it doesn't, then we need to focus on the wifi. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements