× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas NVX Windows folder permissions setup and configuration

HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

readynas NVX Windows folder permissions setup and configuration

I have a readynas 4210 and i have created a main share and given it guest permissions

I have 4 typical users in my house that i want to be able to access this share

2 kids

2 parents

I want to be able to setup 2 shared folders:

Kids:

Kids/alex

Kids/thomas

Parents:

Parents/dan

Parents/jen

For the Kids folder I want both parents and kids to have access to this folder and all subfolders / (read/write) permissions

For the Parents folder I want only the parents users (dan, jen) to have full read/write access to this and all subfolders and I want to restrict access to this folder and all subfolder for the kids users (Alex, Thomas)

How do i make this happen with the this main share?

Model: RNDX4210|ReadyNAS NVX 2TB (2 x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: readynas NVX Windows folder permissions setup and configuration

What @StephenB is basically pointing out is that the ReadyNAS does not create shares within shares.  Shares are at top level, and can have permissions set.  Below them are simple folders (directories) that inherit their permissions from the share.

One thing he did not mention is that no share, other than the automatic home share, can have the same name as a user, even with automatic home shares disabled.  And changing upper/lower case doesn't get around this.  Using @StephenB 's recommended set-up, you aren't violating that (folders can have a user's name).  But if you decide to try something else, just be aware of this limitation.  For example, if you need to keep the kids from messing with each other's stuff, you'll need shares for each of them with different permissions, and you'll need a different name for the shares than their login names.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 17

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Are you and the kids sharing a family PC?  If so, are you using your the same logon (username/password)?

Message 2 of 17
HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

Nope we all have our own windows PC's (2 windows 10 and 2 windows 7) with local computer user accounts.

Message 3 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@HomeNASUser2020 wrote:

Nope we all have our own windows PC's (2 windows 10 and 2 windows 7) with local computer user accounts.

Ok.  Then you'd start by creating accounts on the NAS for the four of you.  Put Alex and Thomas in one group (Kids), and Dan and Jen in another group (either Parents or the default Users).  Match the PC username/passwords for these accounts - windows presents the PC credentials to the NAS by default (unless you override that in the Windows Credential Manager).

Then instead of having one share, create at least two (one for the parents, and one for the kids).

The NAS default permissions will work fine for the kids' share(s).

For the parents's share(s), set the default access to Disabled, and check "write enabled users"  Enter the group name for the parents in the Write Enabled Groups section.  https://kb.netgear.com/14291/How-to-set-ReadyNAS-Share-Access-RAIDiator-4-x

Note that if you are using the "home" shares feature of the NAS, you should disable that.  The home shares are private, so you won't have access to the kid's home shares if you use that feature.

Message 4 of 17
HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

OK i created the user accounts in NAS (assigned the same usernames and password as local PC accounts) and i have deleted the main share and am in the process of adding the 2 shares for parents and kids - do I need keep the guest permissions for both shares?

Message 5 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@HomeNASUser2020 wrote:

do I need keep the guest permissions for both shares?

No, and you definitely don't want guest access enabled for the Parent shares.

Message 6 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

What @StephenB is basically pointing out is that the ReadyNAS does not create shares within shares.  Shares are at top level, and can have permissions set.  Below them are simple folders (directories) that inherit their permissions from the share.

One thing he did not mention is that no share, other than the automatic home share, can have the same name as a user, even with automatic home shares disabled.  And changing upper/lower case doesn't get around this.  Using @StephenB 's recommended set-up, you aren't violating that (folders can have a user's name).  But if you decide to try something else, just be aware of this limitation.  For example, if you need to keep the kids from messing with each other's stuff, you'll need shares for each of them with different permissions, and you'll need a different name for the shares than their login names.

Message 7 of 17
HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

OK so I followed your instructions and was able to setup the 2 shares:

Parents

Kids

In the kids I have read write access and am able to view,edit,create,delete files and folders

But both the kids and the other parent user are unable to do this and the message says you need permission to perform this action.

Any idea why this is and how to resolve?

Message 8 of 17
Sandshark
Sensei

And you've added them as read/write users in the CIFS permissions?

Did you make any changes in the Advanced section?  If you only have enabled CIFS and have set up access there, there is little reason to do anything in "Advanced" except to check "Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files", if you want that to be the case..

Message 9 of 17
HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

This is the settings:

Message 10 of 17
HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

And this is the cifs settings:

Message 11 of 17
HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

This is the user accounts

Message 12 of 17
HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

This is the groups settings

Message 13 of 17
HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

And to answer your questions no i did not make any changes in the shares advanced tab and the only real change i made was to add Connie as a secondary user in the parents group. But again this did not resolve my issue.

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@HomeNASUser2020 wrote:

In the kids I have read write access and am able to view,edit,create,delete files and folders

But both the kids and the other parent user are unable to do this and the message says you need permission to perform this action.

Can you clarify more precisely what they can/can't do?  Can they read the share, but not write?  Read/write new files, but can't delete?

Also, you should run the windows credential manager on their PCs, and delete any credentials that are stored there for the NAS.

Message 15 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@HomeNASUser2020 wrote:

the only real change i made was to add Connie as a secondary user in the parents group. But again this did not resolve my issue.

I suggest changing this back.  Connie is already a member of the parents group.  You could potentially add both of you as secondary members of the kids group, but that really shouldn't be necessary.

@Sandshark wrote:

... except to check "Grant rename and delete privileges to non-owner of files" ...

I do recommend that you check that box for both shares, as it will ensure that the parents have the rights to delete files created by the kids.

First, on the CIFS screen, scroll down to the "advanced cifs" section in both shares and make sure it's configured as shown below:

nv+ cifs-.png

These settings won't allow the kids to access folders in the parents share.

After you'd done this click apply, and go back to the advanced options screen:

NV+ advanced.png

Again, both shares should be set up this way.  But if you have already loaded files into the shares, then also check the "Set ownership" box before you click apply.  The check will immediately clear when you click apply.  It will make sure that all the files and folders in the share have these permissions set correctly.

After all that's done, then try rebooting the PCs, and let us know 

1. if the kids can access the parents share
  2. if the kids can read their own share,
  3. If the kids can copy a file to their share, and then delete that file.
  4. If the parents can read the kids share,
  5. If the parents can copy a file to the kids share, and then delete that file.
  6. if the parents can read their own share,
  7. if the parents can copy a file to their share, and then delete that file.

Message 16 of 17
HomeNASUser2020
Aspirant

OK I have this working properly now - I followed your instructions and thank you all so much. 

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements