× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.

readynas pro 12TB is full of movies

gazgaz
Aspirant

My Readynas pro is full of movies. I have need of a new NAS so am looking at all the options. I bought the pro a few yrs back as it was said to be the fastest at the time. I have never had it miss a beat. but time moves on and I was thinking of another nas with bigger capacity. Initially I found the DLNA useful for playing on flat panels around the house but not everything played, found the same problem with media players (not wanting to play some 10gig movies), Atom computer was useless over 4 gig and so I now have i7 computers under most flat panels. Is it still and advantage to have a readynas pro? Will one readynas speak to another more kindly? will another nas brand cause problems that two readynas pro will not. Hell I do not even know if I can just add another readynas pro to the network without expecting issues.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: readynas pro 12TB is full of movies

You can have multiple NAS units on the same network. Personally I would recommend the ReadyNAS Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200), which is the second gen Pro and has a faster CPU than what's in your ReadyNAS Pro.

With two ReadyNAS you're pretty much guaranteed for them to work well together and for users on here (or NetGear support) to be able to solve problems such as backing up data between the two NAS units

If you get a different brand NAS it will likely have a different feature set. Mostly they should work fine together and problems should still be able to be solved.
Message 2 of 8
PapaBear1
Guide

You would also have the problem of which unit is the problem if the two conflict. If you post a question here, we would most likely not have experience with the other unit, and the same thing with the forum for the other brand as they would most likely not have experience with the ReadyNAS line.

I have three ReadyNAS units, and are not only on one network (home) but connected to the same switch. I have very imaginatively named them NAS1, NAS2 and NAS3. The work well together even though one is much older (sparc based NV+) than the other two (NVX BE and NVX Pioneer). The Business Edition is my primary NAS and the Pioneer is the primary backup (rsync backups of all shares every night) and the NV+ is the secondary backup of critical and important files. (It was here and I had the spare drives, so I put it back to work).
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

I also have three ReadyNAS connected to my home network (a Pro 6 as primary storage, and a Duo v1 and NV+ as backup). They co-exist nicely - I can reach all three from any PC, and also can access them all over the internet.

Would you would be using both units are primary storage? If so, all you would really need to do is map drive letters to the relevant shares on both units on your PCs, and you would get connectivity. On TVs where you are still using DLNA, you will see two DLNA servers (which is not ideal). Maybe you could host a DLNA server on one of the media PCs that covers both units, and turn the NAS dlna servers off?

As far as I know there is no way to set up multiple NAS as a single volume. So you will want to think about organization of your media across the units, since you will want navigation to be intuitive.

BTW, how do you manage backup?
Message 4 of 8
Lichon
Aspirant

Seeing as your main concern is storage capacity, then I would suggest look at the 8-bay models from QNAP. I hear their official support is lacking, but the forum support is great. The QNAP interface is much better than frontview, and is richer in features but otherwise both ReadyNAS and QNAP models are pretty much equal.
Message 5 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

going to 4tb drives, with raid 5, would net you around 3721*5 = 18.6 tb usable
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=58447

of course, I would not personally recommend raid 5 with that much storage, I use dual redundancy, which would be about 3721 *4 = 14.8 tb usable
Message 6 of 8
gazgaz
Aspirant

Thank you for voicing your thoughts I have decided and ordered another readynas pro v2 with 12 TB again
should keep me under control for another couple of years and then who knows what the world will have done
thanks again
Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

In a couple of years there should hopefully be affordable 3/4TB drives you can upgrade to using in your units, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.
Message 8 of 8