× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas212 upgraded storage not recognizing

readynasuser84
Aspirant

readynas212 upgraded storage not recognizing

Hello,

I have been using my readynas 212 with a single 750gb drive.  I recently purchased a WD RED NAS drive with 4tb.

I threw the red drive in and the raid process went through and synced up but the volume was still set to the max of 750gb.

i powered down, removed the 750gb drive, and moved the 4tb drive into the primary splot.  at this point, the 4tb drive is now only showing volume capacity of 750gb (though it is recognized as a 4tb drive).

I restarted again, but it is still showing the lower capactiy.  is there a way to force it to expand?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: readynas212 upgraded storage not recognizing

@readynasuser84 wrote:

I have been using my readynas 212 with a single 750gb drive.  I recently purchased a WD RED NAS drive with 4tb.

I threw the red drive in and the raid process went through and synced up but the volume was still set to the max of 750gb.

i powered down, removed the 750gb drive, and moved the 4tb drive into the primary splot.  at this point, the 4tb drive is now only showing volume capacity of 750gb (though it is recognized as a 4tb drive).

I restarted again, but it is still showing the lower capactiy.  is there a way to force it to expand?

The system is now set up as RAID-1, and it is degraded because you removed the 750gb drive.

There are two supported ways to proceed:

• purchase and insert a second 4 TB drive.  The system will resync and expand.
  • Back up your data, and do a factory reset.  Reconfigure the NAS, and restore the files from backup.

The first option is best - giving you some protection of your data, and enabling automatic expansion in the future.

If you have good linux skills, you could attempt to do this manually via ssh.  But you'd need a backup anyway, and you don't have a lot of data.  So I recomment not attempting that, and using one of the two methods above.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@readynasuser84 wrote:

The system is now set up as RAID-1, and it is degraded because you removed the 750gb drive.

There are two supported ways to proceed:

• purchase and insert a second 4 TB drive.  The system will resync and expand.
  • Back up your data, and do a factory reset.  Reconfigure the NAS, and restore the files from backup.

The first option is best - giving you some protection of your data, and enabling automatic expansion in the future.

If you have good linux skills, you could attempt to do this manually via ssh.  But you'd need a backup anyway, and you don't have a lot of data.  So I recomment not attempting that, and using one of the two methods above.

Message 2 of 3
readynasuser84
Aspirant

I added another 4gig drive which is in the process of syncing up.  I'll let you know how it goes, thanks for your reply!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements