× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

remove inactive disk and possibly a bad disk

nilsson_lina
Aspirant

remove inactive disk and possibly a bad disk

Good day,
I have a messy issue with a lot of uncertainty and forgotten facts because this happened over a year ago and I'm now trying to recover my data. I have a ReadyNAS, RNDU4000. Firmware 6.10.5 hotfix 1. Three disks installed 1, 2 & 4.

About a year ago I noticed that I could not access my NAS and it had an error message in the display, that I don't remember at the moment. I did a reboot and could access the NAS interface again, but no files. I then saw several of warnings and error messages, indicating that Disk 2 was going bad. "Detected increasning ATA error count: [24880] on disk 2".

I also got messages about disks 1,2,4 being inactive (I don't have a disk 3)

From here I have done a lot of things I have read about that you shouldn't do and I don't remember in what order 🙂 I'm pretty sure I have gotten the RAID off sync and I doubt it will work if i change disk 2. (I have exported a log, so I guess the facts can be found there.)

My question is - What is the best way to restore the data? I don't need to get the system running again. Just want a backup of all files I had. I think the disks were setup as RAID 5.

Or is it a lost battle?

Model: RNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: remove inactive disk and possibly a bad disk

@nilsson_lina wrote:

My question is - What is the best way to restore the data? I don't need to get the system running again. Just want a backup of all files I had. I think the disks were setup as RAID 5.

Or is it a lost battle?

I think the best path is data recovery.

If you want to try that on your own, you'd need a way to connect the disks to a Windows PC and try ReclaiMe software 

https://www.reclaime.com/ ) or other RAID recovery software that supports BTRFS.

Netgear also offers a data recovery service you might be able to use:  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service One issue with this is that you have a legacy NAS running OS-6 which they normally won't support.  They might make an exception for data recovery - not sure.

There are other folks who offer this (some might be local to you).  Best to check whether they have experience with mdadm raid + btrfs before you contract with them - many folks are more experienced with PC/Mac data recovery.

After you get the data back (being positive!) - you should put a backup plan in place. Devices can fail, and RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

Message 2 of 4
nilsson_lina
Aspirant

I've been trying to reach the support for a few weeks without success. So my best options seams to be to do it myself. 

A question to your suggestion

@StephenB wrote:

If you want to try that on your own, you'd need a way to connect the disks to a Windows PC and try ReclaiMe software 

https://www.reclaime.com/ ) or other RAID recovery software that supports BTRFS.

Are there any tool that can recover directly from the NAS thought the network, so I don't have to connect the disks individually to my computer. I only have one SATA/USB connector available at the moment and I guess would be good to let the recovery program have access to all 3 drives when it's doing its magic.... just guessing though.

Many thanks

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@nilsson_lina wrote:

Are there any tool that can recover directly from the NAS thought the network, so I don't have to connect the disks individually to my computer. I only have one SATA/USB connector available at the moment and I guess would be good to let the recovery program have access to all 3 drives when it's doing its magic.... just guessing though.

You'd need to get suitable adapter/docks, so you can connect all three drives.  There are some that handle multiple drives.  Prices vary, but you can find 4 bay enclosures for about $125 USD.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements