× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

remove inactive volumes to use the disk

Paulaus
Aspirant

remove inactive volumes to use the disk

the system overview shows status healthy.

when I click on each disk they are all disk state omline. disk 3 has 28k+ errors, the other disks 0

I was running raid 5

I have not accessed or used for months but always up, it is very underutilised - guess less than 1TB - i have 4 x 4TB disks

I tried to access files today and am unable to.

I have had a series of emails from readynas lately -

28/9 volume data health changed from redundant to degraded

28/9 disk in 1 changed from online to failed
disk model ......... was removed from channel 1 of the head unit

disk model ..(as above)... was added to 1 of the head unit

disk model ...(as above)...... was removed from channel 1 of the head unit

volume data is degraded

disk model ..(as above)... was added to 1 of the head unit

resyncing started for volume data

volume data health changed from degraded to dead

disk in 2 changed from online to failed
28/9 Volume data is resynced
28/9 Disk in 1 changed state from resync to online
29/9 volume data health changed from dead to inactive
1/10 continuous protection snapshot count dropped to 60 in volume data

I was not allowed to attach the zipped dump, if someone would like to look - some guidance on exactly what and perhaps how - the dump file extracted is 25MB, not sure if top or bottom of file is most recent.

could I get a few clues as to what to try, to recover my data. Also what I shouldn't do in case I make it worse. .Much appreciate any guidance.

Paul.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: remove inactive volumes to use the disk

@Paulaus wrote:

I was not allowed to attach the zipped dump, if someone would like to look

I am willing to take a look at the full log zip.  Put it into cloud storage (dropbox, google drive, icloud, etc), and send me a download link in a private message (PM).  Send a PM using the envelope icon in the upper right hand corner of the forum page.  Make sure the link permissions allow anyone with the link to download.

Message 2 of 6
AnishaA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello @Paulaus ,

And welcome to the NETGEAR Community! 🙂

We suggest trying once to shut down the NAS remove all the disks and insert them back again. 

And check for the volume status.

And please send the logs in the PM to check for the disks status and the error reported.

Have a lovely day, 
Anisha A
Netgear Team 

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@AnishaA wrote:

We suggest trying once to shut down the NAS remove all the disks and insert them back again. 

@AnishaA - I have looked at the logs, and gave @Paulaus instructions on how to forcibly assemble the array.

Message 4 of 6
wjdreamin
Aspirant

Could sure use some help similar to this other person.  Removed all drives, was able to reformat one because the other 3 had these same error messages but then when I shut down, went to bed, rebooted and reinstalled the drives I have the "inactive" message but all 3 of them have data!  My data! the data I desperately need to save.  I've downloaded a log.  Would appreciate any help in getting these to load at least long enough that I can get my data.  Thank you!

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@wjdreamin wrote:

Removed all drives, was able to reformat one because the other 3 had these same error messages 

Reformatting was a mistake.

@wjdreamin wrote:

Could sure use some help similar to this other person.  I've downloaded a log.  Would appreciate any help

If you want me to take a look at the log zip file, then upload it to cloud storage (dropbox, google drive, etc), and send me a private message (PM) using the envelope link in the upper right hand corner of the forum page.  Include a link to the logs in the PM.  Make sure the link permissions are set to allow anyone with the link to download.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements