× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: replace with different hard drive

Magmo
Aspirant

replace with different hard drive

Hi

One of my disks have failed and need to be replaced, I can replace with a compatible hard drive with equal or greater disk capacity without any issues right?
Message 1 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

Yes you can, although if you want the extra space to be added to the volume you'll need at least one additional disk with the higher capacity.
I'm assuming you are using xraid?
Message 2 of 14
Magmo
Aspirant

Hi

Yes I use XRaid, and I currentky have 4 3TB Hitachi drives, one has failed and I thought I replace it with a cheaper WD RED 3 TB disk instead.
Message 3 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

Yes.
Do consider that you may need to adjust the idle timer using this tool from wd:
http://support.wd.com/product/download. ... 01&lang=en

Also consider that the seagate NAS drives are good, don't require this adjustment, and are slightly cheaper ( at least where I live)
Message 4 of 14
Magmo
Aspirant

Hmmm, is this WD upgrade because of mixed drives? The reason I ask is because I have another Ready NAS Unit where I only have WD Red 3TB drives (4 of them), and I haven't noticed any issues with these drives.... If I should do a firmware upgrade of the WD RED drives from the Ready NAS unit I will need some guidance on how this is done, do you know how or do you know any tutorials on this?
Message 5 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

The older red drives don't seem to be affected, newer ones are.
The tool allows you to adjust the idle timer so that the drive does not accumulate load/ unload cycles which may eventually shorten drive life. This is controversial though.
The tool is installed on your PC and the drive needs to be attached to the PC to make the adjustment. I assume there are instructions on the link I gave you.

It's not a firmware upgrade and you can't do it on drives in the NAS.
If you want to look at the other drives, look at the load cycle count in the smart attributes. These you can see in the health section.
Message 6 of 14
Magmo
Aspirant

Ok, I thought it had to be done on the ReadyNAS Unit, when buying a new drive its now problem for me to connect it to my pc and do the firmware upgrade of the drive there, but if where to do it on the existing drives that right now are in use, then I guess I would be in trouble, would that require a factory reset in that way?
Message 7 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

That's why I said you should check the load cycle count of the existing drives. Look at the smart information and you will see a number for load cycle count. Depending on whether you have disk spindown set and how often you power down the NAS it will have a count in the 100's to 1000's.

If it s ok on the existing drives then you don't need to adjust anything. I expect your existing drives will be ok.

Even if you needed to adjust, you wouldn't need to factory reset. Western digital does advise making a backup though before running the tool. You should have a backup anyway.
Message 8 of 14
Magmo
Aspirant

Ok, thanks. My first concern in this post was that one drive needed to be replaced, at least I thought so.. I got that message after I did a factory reset. But when I look now it says all my drives are ok!?

And also, I don't have the frontview gui in english, could you tell me what row number the "load cycle" is on?
Message 9 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

I'd test the disk properly using vendor tools before assuming it's ok.
Message 10 of 14
Magmo
Aspirant

Thats a good idea, just ran the test and they where all ok, ...
Message 11 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

Did you use the hitachi drive fitness test tool?
http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads

You'll need to remove the drive withe Nas off and connect it to a PC.
Message 12 of 14
Magmo
Aspirant

Yes I used that tool and disconnected all drives and checked each of them on my pc
Message 13 of 14
vandermerwe
Master

Ok then.
Use the existing drives then.
Make sure you have a backup.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos