× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ready nas

irarosenstudio
Aspirant

all discs are new, no data ever on them. I've got an extra if you feel I should swap out number 4.

Message 26 of 48
StephenB
Guru

Maybe go to the health page and look at the SMART stats before you do anything.

Message 27 of 48
irarosenstudio
Aspirant

status.JPG

Message 28 of 48
StephenB
Guru

So you never got upgraded to 4.1.8?

Your current firmware won't handle 2 TB drives properly.

Message 29 of 48
irarosenstudio
Aspirant

stats.JPG

Message 30 of 48
irarosenstudio
Aspirant

This is what I think you mean? Does that give any clues? Thanks 

Message 31 of 48
StephenB
Guru

The disks look ok, but you aren't running 4.1.8.

Message 32 of 48
irarosenstudio
Aspirant

I went to:

setup/system/update. then clicked on the extracted file from 4.1.8

Was there a step i missed?

Message 33 of 48
StephenB
Guru

@irarosenstudio wrote:

status.JPG

Your screen should look more like this:

health.png

If the system says its running 4.1.8, then maybe try clearing your browser cache.
Message 34 of 48
StephenB
Guru

@irarosenstudio wrote:

I went to:

setup/system/update. then clicked on the extracted file from 4.1.8

Was there a step i missed?

Normally when you upload it first verifies the file,  Then there's a second click to install it.

Message 35 of 48
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

You clearly need to update the Firmware.  So just follow the directions.  What NAS you upgrade the firmware on will have zero effect on the other.  Once you have one NAS done and working, you can go ahead up upgrade the other.  This won't normally wipe out the data on your NAS, but it's always safer to have a backup just in case.  really you should always have a backup anyway.  A NAS is not really a backup.   So many other things can happen to a NAS other then 1 HDD going bad on you.

If you can't log in, you can always do a OS Reinstall which also won't delete your files, but reinstall the OS which would give you back the default password.  You can follow the directions here for OS Re-Install.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24874/~/how-do-i-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-readynas-d...

As for the Password is it a NV+ v1 or an NV+ v2? Default password in the V2 is "password", the V1 uses "netgear1"    Admin user name should be admin.  Upper and Lower case matters in all.

Message 36 of 48
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That boot menu article is for the V1. The v2 instructions are quite different.

The screenshot of the old Infrant UI from RAIDiator 3.x shows the system is a v1.

The default password on RAIDiator 3.x was 'infrant1' (no quotes).

As StephenB suggested if you've already updated to RAIDiator 4 you should clear your web browser cache (e.g. Temporary Internet Files in Internet Explorer), close your web browser and then reopen Frontview. Another option would be to try another web browser.

Message 37 of 48
irarosenstudio
Aspirant

This is where I am.... I couldn't seem to install the new firmware. I thought I was doing it right and tried twice. I was getting an error message and it was then suggested that I reboot and have the system scanned on startup. Thats where I am now. System is rebooting and scanning, only 3% so far. I'll get back to the update if it says all drives are ok. If not, I've got a replacement drive handy. I really apreciate the help here! Thanks again...

Message 38 of 48
StephenB
Guru

Are you following the procedure on page 65 here: http://www.readynas.com/download/archive/pdf/UserGuide_V3.pdf

(a) extract the image file from the zipfile

(b) upload and verify the image file using the screen on page 65

(c) wait.... for the system to tell you the firmware is uploaded and verified

(d) then do the reboot when the system prompts you.

Message 39 of 48
irarosenstudio
Aspirant

So, we are certainly making progress. 4.1.15 installed and system is syncing? I guess. Drive 2 showing a weird light, photo attached. The front panel on the unit isn't showing updated volume though.. I feel like we are so close!

nas updated.JPG

Message 40 of 48
StephenB
Guru

It is odd that disk-2 came up as a spare.  

There is no data on the system yet, correct?  After the resync, you could try removing/reinserting disk2 with the NAS running.  That should trigger another resync, adding disk 2 to the array.

Message 41 of 48
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you done a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) after updating to RAIDiator 4?

Volumes created on RAIDiator 3.x cannot be expanded past 5TB.

Message 42 of 48
StephenB
Guru

@mdgm wrote:

Have you done a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) after updating to RAIDiator 4?

I agree this is needed (and posted it earlier on the thread).  

Message 43 of 48
irarosenstudio
Aspirant

UPDATE: Did factory reset last night, Booted up this morning to see new enlarged volume! Drive 4 is syncing and only at 5% but it looks really good so far!

Really can't thank all of you enough. Will post after sync completes. Best,  Ira

Message 44 of 48
irarosenstudio
Aspirant

Almost home!  I came in today to this 

latest.JPG

My only concern it that the light on the unit representing disc 4 is still blinking. Other than that I believe you guys have performed a miracle! 🙂

Message 45 of 48
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello irarosenstudio,

What does it show under Volume Settings?

Regards,

Message 46 of 48
irarosenstudio
Aspirant

Can't thank you guys enough! All good - back up and running!!! 

Message 47 of 48
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello irarosenstudio,

Please feel free to post any suggestions, comments and questions.

We greatly appreciate your contribution to the community!

Regards,

Message 48 of 48
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 47 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements