× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rn104 currently 3 x 3tb, how to increase hdd size to 3 x 6tb without losing data

Asha3110
Aspirant

rn104 currently 3 x 3tb, how to increase hdd size to 3 x 6tb without losing data

HI,

I currently have an rn104 with 3 x 3tb wd red HDDs.    i could add another 3tb for extra storage, but i am thinking of future proofing the storage,  what are the options for increasin the hdds to 6tb each without losing existing data,    how do you add larger hdds and transfer data?     

should i start by adding a 6tb to the 4th slot?  or should i replace one of the 3tb with a 6tb?  if so,  how do you do this?

I am currently set on raid 5.     but must confess, i am not an expert on the workings.  I have managed to add drives successfully over the years without drama.

Also,  if i were to purchase an upgraded nas ( this one is approx 8 years old) and add 2 x 6tb hdd,  how easy is it to transfer data from one to the other

Thanks in advance.

A

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: rn104 currently 3 x 3tb, how to increase hdd size to 3 x 6tb without losing data

@Asha3110 wrote:

how do you add larger hdds and transfer data?     

First, you should have a backup plan for your NAS.  RAID alone isn't enough to keep your data safe - and your volume isn't redundant when you are expanding your storage.

On the mechanics:  To increase the space you need to have at least two of the larger disks.  You don't need to upgrade all three to the same size. 

If you want to end up with four disks in the array, you can hot-insert (NAS running) the first 6 TB drive in slot 4.  After that resyncs, you can hot-swap disk 3.  That will resync twice (the second expansion will use the "extra" space on the 6 TB disk).  FWIW, 2x6TB + 2x3TB would give you the same space as 3x6TB.

If you actually want 3x6TB, then you can't use the empty slot.  Instead hot-swap the disks one at a time, and make sure the resync is completed before moving on to the next.

@Asha3110 wrote:

Also,  if i were to purchase an upgraded nas  ... how easy is it to transfer data from one to the other

You can just migrate the disks.  Though I do recommend putting in a scratch disk in the new unit first, and then upgrade the software to the current version.  Then power down, and move the disks over (ideally keeping them in slot order).

Message 2 of 5
Asha3110
Aspirant

Re: rn104 currently 3 x 3tb, how to increase hdd size to 3 x 6tb without losing data

thanks for the speedy response.

so, i would need 2 x 6tb hdds?  or could i buy one now and add it and continue to use the nas, and then in a few months add a second 6tb?, which raid would i need to set to do this, as when i use the hdd calculator set on raid 5, it always uses the smallest hdd size to dictate the other disk sizes,

How superior is the rn214 to the rn104?  i am able to stream 4k to smart tv with the 104, would the 214 be capable of streaming to 2 tvs?  i am also able to stream 1080 to to 3 smart tvs without hitch.    all in all i am happy with the 104,  i just don't want to run out of storage,  and don't think adding another 3tb will offer me enough for years to come.

you mention a backup plan?   what do you suggest?

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you only have one RAID5 volume, I don't know why you are controlling the RAID mode manually.  XRAID would have set it up as RAID5 and would do the necessary expansions for you.  If the current drives are all the same size you started with, you should be able to switch to XRAID now.

You can put in one 6TB now, but the additional storage will be unused.  With XRAID, when you add the second 6TB, then you'll get a single volume with a 3TBx3 RAID5 layer and 2x3TB RAID1 layer.  If you change the last 3TB to 6TB, then the 3x3TB layer will grow to a 3x3TB RAID5.  I'm not sure that same expansion is available in FlexRAID.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Asha3110 wrote:

so, i would need 2 x 6tb hdds?  or could i buy one now and add it and continue to use the nas, and then in a few months add a second 6tb?, which raid would i need to set to do this, as when i use the hdd calculator set on raid 5, it always uses the smallest hdd size to dictate the other disk sizes,

XRAID is the easiest.  If you have a green stripe on the XRAID control on the volume page, then you are already using it.  If you don't see that control, then try clicking on it - it should enable, and the stripe will then appear.

XRAID will automatically expand the volume.  The capacity rule is "sum the disks an subtract the largest".  So you do need at least 2 of the larger disks to use all the space on them.

@Asha3110 wrote:

i just don't want to run out of storage,  and don't think adding another 3tb will offer me enough for years to come.

Consider getting two bigger disks than 6 TB then.  Perhaps 8 or 10 TB.

@Asha3110 wrote:

you mention a backup plan?   what do you suggest?

The least expensive is to back the NAS up to USB drives.   If you do decide to upgrade to a more capable NAS, you can also re-purpose your RN104 as a backup.

@Asha3110 wrote:

How superior is the rn214 to the rn104? 

The RN214 is faster - capable of saturating gigabit ethernet (sustained transfers over 100 MB/sec).  The RN104 generally does around 50-70 MB/sec.  It also has a lot more memory, which would be advantageous if you use plex.  The RN214 also can do some real-time transcoding (1080p to SD).  The RN104 can't do any real-time transcoding.

Of course the x86 ReadyNAS (RN42x, RN52x, RN62x) are also potential upgrades.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements