× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

some presales questions for 4000 pro series

goodhead
Aspirant

some presales questions for 4000 pro series

Could some one please help me answer these few questions before we buy 2 of them.

Q1,
If we spec it up with disks to do raid 1 can it be upgraded to raid 5 later on with out wiping the disks.
Obviously an extra disk will be need also.

Q2,
We want to have two of these at 2 locations and replicate the boxes over internet.
Can we have multiple replication jobs setup in netgear replicate. so each box is replicating to each other?

Q3,
These boxes are going to be connected to broadband with speeds of max 4 mbps will this be an issue with the replication?

Q4,
In order to use netgear replicate do i have to have pro version or would the lower end ready nas products also be able to replicate as we want?

Q5,
Does the 4000 pro series need a separate licence bought to use netgear replicate?
Message 1 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: some presales questions for 4000 pro series

1) If you stick with the default X-RAID2 you can start out with 2 disks and add more later. See X-RAID2 in Action

2) Yes. You could restore to either NAS as well.

3) Depends on how much you wish to transfer. 4 Mbit/s would be about 400KByte/s before overheads, encryption etc.

4) Best to use the Pro Series, but Replicate also works with the Ultra/Ultra Plus. There's even a special version for the Duo/NV+ v2 (don't confuse these with the v1: How to tell whether I have a Duo v1 or Duo v2 or NV+ v1 or NV+ v2).

5) Yes. One license is needed per device.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 2 of 4
goodhead
Aspirant

Thanks for answering.
just to follow on.

we dont need to run vmware serversor stuff like that. Why would the pro be better?
Would the ultras replicate exactly same?
Reason i ask is they are alot cheaper. I just worried that pro maybe over the top when we could just manage with ultra version that does what we want.

the data they ave at moment is 900 gb, which obviously wont be all going over net. just changes and additions.Its mostly office docs and pictures.

the xraid looks good.

mdgm wrote:
1) If you stick with the default X-RAID2 you can start out with 2 disks and add more later. See 2) Yes. You could restore to either NAS as well.

3) Depends on how much you wish to transfer. 4 Mbit/s would be about 400KByte/s before overheads, encryption etc.

4) Best to use the Pro Series, but Replicate also works with the Ultra/Ultra Plus. There's even a special version for the Duo/NV+ v2 (don't confuse these with the v1: How to tell whether I have a Duo v1 or Duo v2 or NV+ v1 or NV+ v2).

5) Yes. One license is needed per device.

Welcome to the forum!
Message 3 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Pro is better because it has the snapshot feature. So if the data will be changing on the source unit during the backup this is important to get a consistent backup. A snapshot allows you to backup your data as if it were frozen in time.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements