× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: tried to expand with xraid off....NAS now thinks there's a raid 50 or 60 volume present

leo037
Luminary

tried to expand with xraid off....NAS now thinks there's a raid 50 or 60 volume present

Hello, 

Was helping a friend out with a 428. wanted to do volume expansion but without xraid as my experience was that adding two additional drives, xraid made the volume go from raid 5 to raid 6. 

So to avoid that. had my friend turn off xraid and plug in the drives. Clicked on expand on one drive and getting the error 

"Expand for raid 50 or raid 60 requires the selected drives to be divisible by the number of raid groups"

There are no raid 50 or raid 60 volumes. It is a single volume, raid 5 on a 428. Drives were recently swapped out from a 526 to 

Also can not turn xraid back on again

Model: RN428|ReadyNAS 428 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bays
Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: tried to expand with xraid off....NAS now thinks there's a raid 50 or 60 volume present

If the NAS has verically expanded volumes, even if that expansion was done by XRAID, it cannot change back to XRAID once switched to FlexRAID.  I do not believe that was always the case, nor do I understand why it now is; but it is.

It sounds like you have come across a bug in the OS.  But first check either mdstat.log in the downloaded llogs or issue a cat /proc/mdstat in SSH to be sure there really are no RAID50 or 60 volumes.

You could try the CLI volume_util via SSH and see if that works.  But I'm sure the GUI calls it, so you may run into the same problem.  Use volume_util -help for usage instructions.

If you do have vertically expanded volumes (which mdstat will also show), I don't really recommend you try to use BTRFS directly to expand.  I've not experimented with it enough to know the pitfalls, if any.  If something other than vertically expanded volumes is keeping it from switching to XRAID, I have done that.  But it's not for the novice.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements