× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to register product - already register by an unknown person

Wilber007
Aspirant

unable to register product - already register by an unknown person

Hi,

We have inherited a ReadyNAS 2120 from a previous IT company who is no longer using it.  I would like to register the product and potentially get paid supprt from Netgear on teh production piece of hardware.  I have can see that this is a common problem when re-purposing Netgear hardware.  How can I go about getting this re-registered?  anyone any ideas?  Do I even need to register this product with NetGear under my own account? 

Many thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: unable to register product - already register by an unknown person

Hello Wilber007,

Even if you have not purchased this product, it is still considered refurb/pre-owned unit. The whole purpose of registering the Netgear product is to avoid reselling it as used. If the previous IT company gave you the official receipt issued by the reseller where they bought the Netgear product then maybe that will help as that will serve as a proof that you know the owner and you are contacting Netgear in behalf of the owner, but I don't think changing the registration to your name is still possible.

Can you PM me the SN of the unit, I will check its registration.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@Wilber007 wrote:

Hi,

We have inherited a ReadyNAS 2120 from a previous IT company who is no longer using it.  I would like to register the product and potentially get paid supprt from Netgear...

If you purchased it used, then you can't register it.  In that case, normal paid support would not be available, but data recovery would be.

If "inherited" means there was an acquisition/merger of some sort, then support should be able to transfer the registration.

Message 2 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Wilber007,

Even if you have not purchased this product, it is still considered refurb/pre-owned unit. The whole purpose of registering the Netgear product is to avoid reselling it as used. If the previous IT company gave you the official receipt issued by the reseller where they bought the Netgear product then maybe that will help as that will serve as a proof that you know the owner and you are contacting Netgear in behalf of the owner, but I don't think changing the registration to your name is still possible.

Can you PM me the SN of the unit, I will check its registration.

Regards,

Message 3 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Wilber007,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 5
Wilber007
Aspirant

OK brilliant many thanks for the info.

Regards,

W

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies