× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: upgrade memory readynas ultra

prometheus1
Aspirant

upgrade memory readynas ultra

anyone know how much memory i can shoe horn in the ultra 4 and am i likey to see much of an improvment in performance 😄
Message 1 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

2GB maximum, uses a DDR2 SO-DIMM. There is no HCL for it from NTGR, they won't be supporting memory upgrades. You can watch the community HCL pages for others that have used successful modules: viewforum.php?f=110
Message 2 of 12
prometheus1
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
2GB maximum, uses a DDR2 SO-DIMM. There is no HCL for it from NTGR, they won't be supporting memory upgrades. You can watch the community HCL pages for others that have used successful modules: http://readynas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=110

thanks chirpa
Message 3 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

4GB may work, but could be a stretch on the chipset, haven't looked into that spec. But 4GB SO-DIMM is also very expensive right now, not really worth it. Probably cost less to get an Ultra 6, which uses desktop DDR2 DIMMs, much cheaper.

edit: chipset supports 4GB, via 2 slots. But the U4 only has one slot, so 2GB max.
Message 4 of 12
prometheus1
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:
4GB may work, but could be a stretch on the chipset, haven't looked into that spec. But 4GB SO-DIMM is also very expensive right now, not really worth it. Probably cost less to get an Ultra 6, which uses desktop DDR2 DIMMs, much cheaper.

edit: chipset supports 4GB, via 2 slots. But the U4 only has one slot, so 2GB max.

thanks again chirpa.

i would think considering the duties the nas has 2GB will be sufficient but its shame there is not two slots
Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's probably a limitation of the size of the unit (can only fit so much into a small space). I believe the 6-bay ReadyNAS come with a 1GB memory module (you can replace this with a 2GB RAM module as chirpa said) and an empty slot for expansion.
Message 6 of 12
TycoonX
Aspirant

prometheus wrote:
anyone know how much memory i can shoe horn in the ultra 4 and am i likey to see much of an improvment in performance 😄

Is the performance not satisfying? what are your read/write speeds?
Message 7 of 12
prometheus1
Aspirant

TycoonX wrote:
prometheus wrote:

Is the performance not satisfying? what are your read/write speeds?

:lol: performance is very much satisfying in relation to the duo i had before, but is there not always room for imrovment 😄

ya know i have not checked the performace of the read and write speeds, however i did notice i was getting about 45mb a sec on the desktop linked to my gs108t, but i suspect a decent network card with improve that.
maybe someone can suggest a decent network card
Message 8 of 12
PapaBear1
Guide

Do you not have a 1Gbit card built into the desktop - most do these days. If you would post your desktops make and model I will see what I can find when I get back Sunday afternoon.

FWIW - I "borrowed" the 1GB SODIM from my 6 year old HP laptop (it met the specs) and put it in my NV+, ran the memory tests and it cleared. It never gave me any problems but I did not not any dramatic improvement over the 256MB that was stock. Since I did get dramatic improvement in my laptop when I upgraded, after a few days, I returned it to the laptop and returned the original 256MB module to the NV+.

I also have an NVX with the stock 1GB SODIM and doing some tests a while back, the read/write speeds between my desktop with a built in 1Gbit ethernet connection and the NVX through a Netgear GS108 switch, I was able to get some amazing transfer speeds. This was using a 3GB test file which was a MP4 video file copied and renamed TEST so as to not disturb the original file. Copying from the NVX to a Samsung HD203WI connected via eSATA the average was 99MB/s but the transfer back was half that at 47MB/s. I'm not sure memory would increase that.
Message 9 of 12
prometheus1
Aspirant

the mother board in the desktop machine is a gigabyte ga-965p-ds3 so yeah its running a gigabyte ethernet connection.
Message 10 of 12
PapaBear1
Guide

That's a good motherboard, I have the GA-P35-DS3P in this desktop. You are unlikely to find an add in board for your desktop with better performance than the one already on you MB.

Transfer speeds depend upon a number of factors, and the file size and type is one of them. One of the reasons I suspect I was able to transfer a test file from my desktop faster than I could transfer the same file to the desktop was that my Avast! Anti-Virus was actively scanning the file during the transfer to process. (It gives an indication when it is scanning a file.)

You can try increasing the memory on the Ultra, but be sure to do a memory test as an incompatible memory chip does not always make it presence known on a ReadyNAS as it does on the desktop. There have been many posts about memory problems cropping up days or weeks later and damage to the data files is a real possibility. One of the reasons that Netgear does not recommend memory is that some memory manufacturers have been making significant modifications to the chip supply, number of chips, etc. and not changing the model number on the module. The are cases noted on the NV+ list where a module with a particular number was compatible and the manufacturer changed the module but not the number and it is not very incompatible.
Message 11 of 12
jmirabil
Aspirant

chirpa wrote:

I'd like to upgrade my Ultra 6 (RDNU6000 model) to 4Gb - this is supported.. yay!

Can I use the same 4Gb of RAM from the Readynas Pro Business in this RNDU6000 unit and then upgrade the pro business to 8GB (viewtopic.php?f=110&t=48085) I sure hope so.... 🙂
Thx -jmirabil
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements