× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: upgrading using old disks NV+ to RN214

eddy291
Aspirant

upgrading using old disks NV+ to RN214

Hi, thanks for advice on upgrading and retaining old disks,  I have a readyNAS NV+, so well over 10 years old.  It runs fine but is showing its age and this obsolete tech has issues, as you will know.  I upgraded the disks a year or two ago to 4 x 2TB Seagate ST2000DM005-2CW102 which are 3.5 inch SATA NAS capable drives. 

My question is, if I buy a diskless RN214, can I simply swap the disks across.  The spec says it takes 3.5 SATA and runs X-RAID, but I am aware thats minimum info.  Will changes in chipsets or OS or RAID technology prevent a straight swap?  Obviously I can back up the data, install and reformat drives and start again, which might be better.  As I am not NAS tech savvy, any advice appreciated.  thanks, Eddy

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@eddy291

Welcome to the Community!

It is fine to use the old drives you have from the NV+ to your RN214 but the data needs to be backed up first since the drives will be reformatted once you migrate the drives to the RN214.

It is also possible to get the data accessible on the RN214 before formatting the drives but it will need intervention from Support. IMO, it would be best if you have a backup of your drive and start from scratch on the RN214 and transfer the data once setup is complete.

Straight migration is not possible since they have different OS.

HTH

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@eddy291

Welcome to the Community!

It is fine to use the old drives you have from the NV+ to your RN214 but the data needs to be backed up first since the drives will be reformatted once you migrate the drives to the RN214.

It is also possible to get the data accessible on the RN214 before formatting the drives but it will need intervention from Support. IMO, it would be best if you have a backup of your drive and start from scratch on the RN214 and transfer the data once setup is complete.

Straight migration is not possible since they have different OS.

HTH

Message 2 of 5
eddy291
Aspirant

Many thanks for a nice clear answer, I will start again

Eddy

Message 3 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

@eddy291 wrote:

I upgraded the disks a year or two ago to 4 x 2TB Seagate ST2000DM005-2CW102 which are 3.5 inch SATA NAS capable drives. 

I don't know who sold you those as "NAS capable", but the DM series are desktop drives and are not recommended for use in RAID configurations such as a NAS.  That sounds like a term sombody invented to fool you into thinking they are "NAS purposed", as are the Seagate Ironwolf (VN) series.

Message 4 of 5
eddy291
Aspirant

thats also very helpful thanks, I was told these were suitable "for entry level NAS" as sold by my university supplier.  As it isn't on all the time I didnt check any further, but in that case I will have to think about new drives too.  Eddy

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements