× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

usb capabilities of RN424

MattRDude
Follower

usb capabilities of RN424

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing a Netgear RN424 Storage Cabinet.  However, I don't want to use it as a NAS or SAN.  I want to direct connect via usb3 cable to one computer.  If I first insert 4 drives and configure them as a RAID array, and then connect the RN424 via usb cable, will my computer see the RN424 as an external disk?

Thank you,

-MR

Model: RN424|ReadyNAS 424 – High-performance Business Data Storage - 4-Bay
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: usb capabilities of RN424

No, a NAS does not make an external RAID disk enclosure - and no for various reasons:

1. The USB ports - even if USB 3.0 does sometimes use USB-C type ports - are still requiring a USB host and a USB device. The ReadyNAS is always USB host, and two hosts can't be interconnected. 

2. A USB storage device is always a USB client, and does make use of the USB Mass Storage Protocol - this requires direct "block" access to the volume. This isn't available on ReadyNAS.

3. ReadyNAS does put up a RAID and runs a one or multiple volume(s) with a file system (BTRFS), or some iSCSI accessible block devices only - the access to a ReadyNAS must be always IP based either way.

4. Some vendors have a USB direct attach option (e.g. QNAP) - this is implemented as a 1Gb Ethernet, and the access is again IP based (over the USB data link).

5. Latest developments in the NAS arena are capabilities to use a NAS as true DAS/SAN - but this is based on FiberChannel (and again an industry first by QNAP).

Disclaimer: Yes, I have some relations to QNAP, but I'm not an employee.

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @MattRDude, I'm using this for backup purposes instead (directly connected to a pc/workstation) without problems so far. Beyond JBOD (what I use) it can also do Raid0 and 1. Kind regards

https://fantec.com/product/fantec-qb-x2us3r/

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Check QNAP TR-002 and TR-004 for deskop, an TR-004A 1U rack mount - all USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Gb/s), can be operated as JBOD or with RAID0/1/5*
*for the four bay

Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Fantec has one with 8 bays, too.

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

A DAS (Direct Attached Storage) and NAS (Network Attached Storage) are completely different things.  I believe the OP wants a DAS, though he may want a dual-purpose DAS/NAS.  He has come to the wrong place, because Netgear is not in the DAS business.  I have only ever known of one true dual-purpose DAS/NAS, and the same files could not be shared between the two access methods.  The DAS area operated much like iSCSI, as a block of space formatted and accessed by the computer using it, not the NAS, and that area was walled off from NAS access..

Other that the Thunderbolt2 device from QNAP mentioned (which is using Thunderbolt2 as a network transport, so that's "cheating"), the other devices listed are DAS.  Some are DAS intended for connection to a computer (but will likely also work attached to a NAS) and others are intended for attachment to a NAS as expansion (but may work attached to a computer).  But none of the others will work as both.

The basic answer to the original questions is:  It can't be done.

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Sandsharkwrote "The basic answer to the original questions is:  It can't be done."

True 🙂

But I need to put a general comment how the original question is posted and why posting questions in this way is making it difficult to give a meaningful answer. The question has no background. The purpose of the RN424 connected in the desired way is not mentionend. So, dear @MattRDude, you have to live with the mere technical solution @Sandshark gave, which is completely correct.

That is like asking the oracle "On which day will I day?" and the answer you will get would be "On a thursday."

DAS and NAS are a perfect combination to support a robust backup situation: Assume 2 Nas on the network mirroring each other, accessable to all users and one DAS connected to an administrators workstation holding all relevant instances a third time. So, if the question is going into the direction to foster backup, increasing reliability and support a desaster recovery plan the answer would be the one  of @Sandshark and a recommendation to use one or more Nas together with one or more DAS.

Kind regards

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

But I need to put a general comment how the original question is posted and why posting questions in this way is making it difficult to give a meaningful answer.

I agree with this.  It's much easier to give a useful answer when you know something about the goal.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements