× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

what? accidental apt-get upgrade

winstonsmith
Aspirant

what? accidental apt-get upgrade

i've got a readynas pro 6 running os 6. i was on 6.10.2 and... i know it's a hard and fast rule, "don't apt-get upgrade", but i did.

problem is i was ssh'd into the wrong device. thought i was remoted in to a debian mac mini. ip's were too similar. i think in the future i will alias apt-get to a nag script reminding me not to use apt-get....hehe. several dpkg errors occured, which i tried to 'fix' with apt-get -f before the lightbulb went off over my head and i looked a little harder at the hostname on the bash prompt....ouch

anyhow, if after doing an erroneous apt-get uprade, if i do a firmware update to 6.10.3 via the regular, real, and only upgrade route, will i be able to pretend that the apt-get upgrade never happened? lol. i guess what i'm really asking is, will the firmware update from the readynas os 6 admin page rewrite all the debian underpinings of the os? or does it do some kind of delta upgrade, potentially leaving me with a now unstable system?

update: firmware upgrade to 6.10.3 went off without any issues...am i ok, or do i need to do a factory reset to straighten this out and prevent future issues?

thanks in advance

Model: RNDU6000 (ReadyNAS Ultra 6)|READYNAS ULTRA 6 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: what? accidental apt-get upgrade

An OS update does overwrite everything except aps, configuration files, and the liek.  It does not, however, wipe the slate clean before it does so.  So, if there are completely new files that are a part of one of the apt-get upgrades, they'll still be there, but they should just be taking up space, not actually getting used.

You should be safe.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

An OS update does overwrite everything except aps, configuration files, and the liek.  It does not, however, wipe the slate clean before it does so.  So, if there are completely new files that are a part of one of the apt-get upgrades, they'll still be there, but they should just be taking up space, not actually getting used.

You should be safe.

Message 2 of 3
winstonsmith
Aspirant

thank for the help!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation