× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: what hardware cpu/memory did this rdp6000-200 come with?

exibar
Aspirant

what hardware cpu/memory did this rdp6000-200 come with?

hiya!

there are like 4 different names for each model of NAS... it's confusing LOL   I have a rndp6000-200, which I guess is a readynas pro 6?  I cannot find what the original CPUJ/memory was that it came with from the factory.  I would have thought it would be in a KB article or documented somewhere here, perhaps my search foo isn't strong today LOL

What is the max I can put in this RNDP6000-200NAS as well?

currently, according to cpuinfo and memoryinfo from SSHing into the box I see it currently has the following:

model name : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz

and 4Gig of memory

Is this the max this box can take?  I notice many different versions of readynas pro 6, so I was trying to search for rndp6000-200, but I could not find much as far as "stock" cpu/memory... I'll keep looking though 🙂

thanks all!

Mike B

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@exibar wrote:

What is the max I can put in this RNDP6000-200NAS as well?

currently, according to cpuinfo and memoryinfo from SSHing into the box I see it currently has the following:

model name : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5300 @ 2.60GHz

and 4Gig of memory

Looks like the person who converted the NAS to run OS-6 also upgraded the memory for you.  The stock RAM was 1 GB.

The NAS takes DDR2 800 mHz DIMM PC2 6400. The ceiling is 8 GB of RAM (2x4 GB).  However, many of the 4 GB modules aren't compatible (and they are expensive).  So I suggest sticking with 4 GB.

As far as the CPU goes, you do have the stock CPU for the -200 version of the Pro-6.  (There was a -100 version that had a slower processor).  It can be upgraded to a Core2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93G, but I doubt the performance boost is worth the trouble.  A quadcore upgrade is possible, but cooling can be an issue there.  @Sandshark hopefully will chime on that. 

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

RAM for the unit has to be PC2, 2Rx8, unbuffered, non-ECC.  That's rare in 4GB modules because most PC's of the time were using a 32-bit OS with a 4GB ceiling.  Server OSes were 64-bit, but most servers use ECC at least.  Some Macs of that era were 64-bit, but they could use 2Rx4 memory.

I never heard of anyone ultimately being satisfied with a 4-core processor.  Unless you cut a hole in the side, rig up some sort of liquid cooling system, or keep in in a very cold location, you just can't keep it cool enough.  And the max processor of an E7600 @ 3.06GHZ doesn't really boost things enough to be worthwhile, IMHO.  The FSB speed will stay at 800MHz because that's the max the motherboard can handle.

BTW, all -100 models had the same factory CPU/memory configuration, as did all -200's.  The different model numbers just have to do with what drives it shipped with.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Jack693 wrote:
Generally, the memory usage will adjust automatically according to your physical memory in order to get a better experience on Remote Desktop computers. If there is no issue such as hang occurred on the Remote Desktop computers, you don't need to worry about the memory usage

Yeah, but there have been enough hangs reported with the 1 GB stock memory on the legacy NAS that I have decided to recommend upgrading it to 2 GB or more before attempting to convert them to OS-6.

Message 4 of 6
exibar
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

RAM for the unit has to be PC2, 2Rx8, unbuffered, non-ECC.  That's rare in 4GB modules because most PC's of the time were using a 32-bit OS with a 4GB ceiling.  Server OSes were 64-bit, but most servers use ECC at least.  Some Macs of that era were 64-bit, but they could use 2Rx4 memory.

so something like this would work correct?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283894538891?hash=item42196ee28b:g:YrwAAOSwAM5ez9Ag

I'll be opening up this unit to check for any obvious faults.  this memory is cheap, and I may have some laying around as I have a huge box of old memory in my garage so I may swap it out.

thanks again!

Mike B

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes.  Keep in mind that if you are sticking with 2GB modules, they are pretty much all going to be 2Rx8, even if they don't say,  It's 4GB modules where you need to check.  So, yeah, you may well have some sitting around if you're one who holds onto such things from discarded computers.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements