× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

what is the largest USB drive that I can plug into my ReadyNAS NV+ V2

takeaswag
Aspirant

what is the largest USB drive that I can plug into my ReadyNAS NV+ V2

Cannot seem to find a simple answer to what I thought would be a simple question.  What is the largest USB external hard drive that I can plug into my ReadyNAS NV+ V2?  It will be its own volume.  It will not be involved with the RAID at all.  Just a simple USB drive and a simple volume on it.

Model: RND4000v2 (ReadyNAS NV+ v2)|READYNAS NV+ v2 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: what is the largest USB drive that I can plug into my ReadyNAS NV+ V2

What firmware is your NAS running?

Message 2 of 4
takeaswag
Aspirant

It is running RAIDiator 5.3.13

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@takeaswag wrote:

It is running RAIDiator 5.3.13

Thanks.  That confirms you have a v2.  Many folks with 4.1.x firmware mistakenly think they have a v2.

I don't know the limit for NV+ v2 systems - I don't own one, so I have no direct experience.  I suspect there is a 16 TB volume ceiling (because the somewhat similar RN102 hardware had a 16 TB limit when it was first introduced).

Some posters have reported success with 6 TB internal drives, and one Duo v2 owner was able to use 8 TB internal drives.  So you should be able to use to at least 8 TB. 

One consideration is that many larger USB drives use SMR technology.  If you use one of those, then you will often experience very slow sustained write speeds.  That's not just a NAS issue - it's an inherent drawback in SMR that applies to any PC.

Unfortunately vendors don't clearly identify which USB drives use SMR and which use conventional recording.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements