× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2 dead disks in RNDP6000v2

LWReid
Aspirant

2 dead disks in RNDP6000v2

Hi,

I had disk 3 (out of 6) with bad sectors reccomending replacement so I hot plug replaced it but the NAS did not see new disk insert. I left it overnight thinking it may be formatting or something in the background but then I had another disk fail (disk6). So now I can not access data. Should I restart device to try pickup 1st new drive? But then it may not be able to rebuild volume from remaining 4 disks.

Maybe I need to clone disk 6 ? any help would be appreciated.

It's a ReadyNAS Pro6000v2 with 6 1TB drives using Xraid2, firmware is Radiator 4.2.30.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: 2 dead disks in RNDP6000v2

Cloning disk 6 or the original disk 3 might help get you through this.   Note that this usually results in some filesystem corruption (because the unreadable sectors can't be cloned and can't be recovered either).  So there could be some data loss.  You need a cloning tool that does block by block copying.  You'd power down the NAS, do the clone, and insert the cloned disk with the NAS powered down.

If disk 3 is still readable, you could also try powering down the NAS, reinserting the original disk 3, and then powering up again.

Either way, I suggest using the boot menu option to skip the file system/volume check.  If your files are available, then do a full backup of the data files on the NAS.

Netgear also offers a data recovery service that you might consider: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Cloning disk 6 or the original disk 3 might help get you through this.   Note that this usually results in some filesystem corruption (because the unreadable sectors can't be cloned and can't be recovered either).  So there could be some data loss.  You need a cloning tool that does block by block copying.  You'd power down the NAS, do the clone, and insert the cloned disk with the NAS powered down.

If disk 3 is still readable, you could also try powering down the NAS, reinserting the original disk 3, and then powering up again.

Either way, I suggest using the boot menu option to skip the file system/volume check.  If your files are available, then do a full backup of the data files on the NAS.

Netgear also offers a data recovery service that you might consider: https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Message 2 of 11
LWReid
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB,

I powered down and put origional disks in and booted skiping system check as you said and am now accessing the data and copying to another device. I will then replace disk 3 and reboot to rebuild raid and then do same with disk 6.

Thanks so much you saved me so much time and preciouse data.

Regards

LWReid

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Great!

@LWReid wrote:

I will then replace disk 3 and reboot to rebuild raid and then do same with disk 6.

Maybe start with disk 6 this time.  Disk 3 will likely lead to the same result (loss of the volume), but it's possible that starting with disk 6 will get you through this w/o losing the data on the NAS.

If the array does fail, you'll need to do a factory default, reconfigure the NAS, and restore all the data from your backup.

RAID redundancy is great, but unfortunately it's not enough to protect your data from loss.  Backups to a different device are the best way to do that.

Message 4 of 11
LWReid
Aspirant

Hi StephenB

Yes I spoke too soon, while I was copying data both disks failed again and I don't have a full backup yet as I was in the process of copying data.

So I will shut down replace disk 6 and reboot normaly to try rebuild.

LWReid

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@LWReid wrote:

Yes I spoke too soon, while I was copying data both disks failed again

Then your best option is to power down, clone at least one of the disks, and restart the NAS with the clones (skipping the file scan).  If you only clone one, then you'd leave the other disk out of the NAS.  The general idea on cloning one is that you want to clone the disk with the least damage.

There will be some corrupted data, but hopefully you'd be able to extract most of it.

@LWReid wrote:

So I will shut down replace disk 6 and reboot normaly to try rebuild.

This is unlikely to work, you are better off cloning.

Message 6 of 11
LWReid
Aspirant

Hi,

Can you recommend a cloning software. I looked at Western Digital but they use Acronis True Image which does not support drives configured in a raid setting apparently.

Cheers

Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

EaseUS Disk Copy looks like it will work - it does support sector-by-sector copying, and would cost $19USD.

Message 8 of 11
LWReid
Aspirant

Hi just an update on progress, For disk 6 I used Clonezilla Live in expert mode and added -rescue to default options of disk to disk copy.

The NAS took this ok and I then swapped out disk 3 and C drive is currently syncing to rebuild raid. Incedently I used 2TB drives to replace 1TB for both drives.

Happy days

Message 9 of 11
LWReid
Aspirant

Next problem Arggh

Disk 3 that finished Cdrive sync. now shows as 'Spare' on raidar and I have another disk just died (disk 2).

What does 'spare' mean and can presume I can't replace disk 2 for the moment?

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@LWReid wrote:

Next problem Arggh

Disk 3 that finished Cdrive sync. now shows as 'Spare' on raidar and I have another disk just died (disk 2).

What does 'spare' mean and can presume I can't replace disk 2 for the moment?

Did you back up your data before the resync (as I suggested above)?

If you did, then look at the disk health of all your drives, and replace all the ones that are marginal.  Then do a factory reset.  Set the NAS up again, and restore the data from your backup.

If not, then first look to see if you still have access to the data files (I'm thinking not, but I could be wrong on that).  If you do, then back up the data before you do anything else.

If you don't have access, try cloning disk two, and boot up the NAS in read only mode w/o disk three. If that works, then (again) back up your data before you do anything else.

Another possibility is that you can use Netgear's data recovery service.  https://kb.netgear.com/69/ReadyNAS-Data-Recovery-Diagnostics-Scope-of-Service

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements