× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.2.5 on Readynas 104

ShaunH
Initiate

6.2.5 on Readynas 104

This broke my NAS.

No longer booting after downloading this update.

Just sits at "Booting... Updating FW"

Has been for 4 hours. 

No response from Netgear... 😞

Message 1 of 10
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

4 hours is a little long to wait for a boot up.

Did you try pulling the power cable to reboot the unit?

I would try a reboot before looking at reaching out to tech support.

Message 2 of 10
vandermerwe
Master

Edit: beaten

Do you have a backup?

When did you buy the nas?

When you say "No response from Netgear" do you mean you have opened a support case.  If so do you have a case number to post?

At some point you are going to need to power the nas down and reboot.  

Message 3 of 10
jackdetate
Aspirant

Is Netgear still pushing out this firmware update? Because, if they are, it's criminal. I'm not seeing any reply from them, and they have my email from the registration.

Message 4 of 10
jackdetate
Aspirant

Are you saying pull the power plug? Because power down by pushing the power button does nothing? Will any data be lost? Are you still pushing that frimware update out? How many people have updated their firmware successfully?

I'd like answers to the questions above.

Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Like me OOM-9 works for NETGEAR so his response is a NETGEAR one.

I see no support case for you so I'm not sure what else you were expecting.

Yes, OOM-9 suggested pulling the power plug. Seeing it has hung where it has you have no choice but to do this.

From experience I don't think there would be any loss of data from doing this, but if your data is important then you would have a backup and update it regularly. No important data should be stored on just the one device.

Usually firmware updates work smoothly but in your case this time it didn't. You should find if you pull the plug then boot the unit it completes successfully.

Furthermore this problem may indicate if it is a firmware issue, an issue with the firmware you were running before rather than the new firmware.

Message 6 of 10
damian104
Aspirant

I've had no problem updating two of these to 6.2.5, took a few minutes.

Pulling the plug is no different to a power outage, not recommended, but happens every now and again

Message 7 of 10
Kardano
Luminary

My RN104 is OK with 6.2.5. and 2 pcs. RN102 in customers office ar OK to. No problem after update. Done in 5 minutes approx.

Message 8 of 10
jzeevi
Aspirant

Similar to the start of this thread, I updated my RN104 from 6.2.0 to 6.2.5 and it halted in the "Updating FW" state. I powered off (pulled the plug) as no interface to the unit seemed to be alive.

The unit rebooted in 6.2.0. Of course, that's what I was trying to get away from as it locks up fairly frequently. That's a problem that has plagued my since prior to 6.1.8. I finally got so frustrated, I stopped updating things and just lived with partial access. 

6.2.0 did allow me some access, so my wife is able to work with (in small batches) her photos.

However, it won't let me copy large amounts of data from the NAS so I can't backup my data. Fortunately, the upgrade didn't lose anything.

So, I'm stuck (yet again).

Any ideas how I can get the update to work? It's quite disappointing to not have a reliable NAS 😞

josef

Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

jzeevi, please stick to one thread. Locking this one.

Please continue in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/Unable-to-FW-update/m-p/977794

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements