× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

About storage capacity in Ready NAS RN10400 (3EPE4CEW00D1A)

girishnegi
Follower

About storage capacity in Ready NAS RN10400 (3EPE4CEW00D1A)

Hi

I want to know about the storage of the above mentioned model of NAS that what size of hard disks can be inserted in NAS RN10400. Is it 8TB, 16TB or 32TB.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
xiao123
NETGEAR Expert

Re: About storage capacity in Ready NAS RN10400 (3EPE4CEW00D1A)

@girishnegi wrote:

Hi

I want to know about the storage of the above mentioned model of NAS that what size of hard disks can be inserted in NAS RN10400. Is it 8TB, 16TB or 32TB.

Hi girishnegi,

Please enter our HCL official website to get your answer

https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

There is no known volume size limit, and no known limit on disk size.  If you look at the HCL using @xiao123 you will see 10 TB drives listed.  Now that 12 TB drives are coming on to the market, I expect those will be added.

HOWEVER, the RN104 is the slowest OS6 ReadyNAS model.  If you are using RAID, then the volume resync time scales with the volume size.  So if you max the disk capacity you will have resync times of several days to weeks.  If you go with very large disks it is best to use JBOD (one disk per volume) or perhaps two RAID-1 volumes.  Even then you are likely to be disappointed in the overall performance.

Generally I think the x86 models (RN42x, RN52x, RN62x) are better choices if you are wanting to use the largest disks. Also, it is cheaper to expand capacity by adding a disk than it is to replace one.  So I suggest getting enough bays that you can keep one or two slots empty for future expansion.

Message 3 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Some hints on improving stability and performance on RN104 for your convenience

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/Improving-performance-and-stability-of-R...

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Some hints on improving stability and performance on RN104 for your convenience

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/Improving-performance-and-stability-of-RN104/idi-p/1253865

FWIW, I don't agree with all of those recommendations.  In particular, I've used snapshots on my RN102 for years with no problems.  Though generally it is good to limit the services to what you actually need - specially on the RN100 series.  

Note @Retired_Member suggests 2 TB drives max.  That is quite conservative, many people here are running 4 TB drives with XRAID on these models.  Resync time does get long though (as I posted above).  I have run 6TB+8TB jbod (two volumes) with no issues - but jbod doesn't require RAID sync.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements