× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After upgrading to 6.6.1, I'm unable to install any add ons and apps

themediapot
Aspirant

After upgrading to 6.6.1, I'm unable to install any add ons and apps

Hi there,

Since upgrading to 6.6.1, it has dropped Anti-Virus Plus from the installed apps list, however when I tried to install it again, it refused and ask me to update the apps list, to which i consented and within a minute or two it reports back with "System: Cannot download application list. Please check your internet connection and try again later."

The internet connection is working, which i verified by clicking on Check for Updates (of firmware), to which it confirmed that i'm running the latest firmware.

Besides Anti-Virus Plus, it has also refused to install the following: Resilio Sync and ReadyNAS Photos II.  Both times it asks to update the list as above, and failed to update, as above.

Is anyone else experienceing this issue?  Any advise and fixes appreciated.

Thank you/ 

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS 202
Message 1 of 36
GLSkipper
Tutor

Re: After upgrading to 6.6.1, I'm unable to install any add ons and apps

Hi themediapot;

I am not having exactly the same issue, but I am not able to browse my share folders since the update (which I believe is similar). I have seen other posts this weekend about the apps not working right. 

I don't have a solution for you, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. The moderators are getting around to everyone, it's just taking a bit of time. 

GLSkipper

Message 2 of 36
eierauge
Aspirant

Message 3 of 36
themediapot
Aspirant

Additionally, I am also unable to install apps manually. 

As am example, I downloaded Resilio Sync from https://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9, and proceded to upload the .deb file to ReadyNAS os, and it eventually gave me the error "System: Cannot install application resilio-sync_2.4.4_amd64.deb."

Anyone ekse experiences this?

Thank you.

Message 4 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The Anti-Virus Plus app is incompatible with 6.6.1. I believe Photos II is incompatible as well.

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 5 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What does your /etc/apt/sources.list look like?

Message 6 of 36
themediapot
Aspirant

Hi again mdgm, thanks for looking at this.

/etc/apt/sources.list looks like:

node01:/etc/apt# cat sources.list

deb http://apt.readynas.com/packages/readynasos 6.6.1 updates apps main

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian jessie main

deb http://security.debian.org/ jessie/updates main

Message 7 of 36
SteveMOs
Aspirant

Hi I'm having the same problem with Logitech server.  after the upgrade to 6.6.1 it stopped running, so I uninstalled it and now can't re-install.  It is the NAStools app. fyi. any ideas?

Message 8 of 36
gyves1
Luminary

I have the same problem on ReadyNAS 312 since FW 6.6.1, my antivirus still active but completly hidden from app list!

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay
Message 9 of 36
RGConstruction
Aspirant

Guys,

Similar issues here - upgraded the firmware to 6.6.1 last night and since this morning, nobody in the office can work efficiently.  If I power-on the unit, it works for a little while, then as more and more users join-in, performance gets very slow and eventually, nothing works.

We tried re-installing the firmware, but no luck.

At somepoint today, we started receiving a message every minute about a file being infected by a virus in our Snapshot directory.  Looking at the Antivirus, we noticed that the management console was non-existent.  The apps doesn't appear in the Apps list and not on the available Apps on Netgear's website either.

We tried disabling the AV Apps, but the results are not promosing.  I'd like to be able to uninstall the app completely, but I don't see it, and as such, can't do anything about it.

I have about 15 users looking at the nice ceiling tiles - I need a solution fast!

Is it possible to revert back to 6.6.0?

We have backups, but use ReadyVault primarily and restoring will take a while...  So a solution that doesn't require a factory default would be great.

Thanks

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4- Bay
Message 10 of 36
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

There are a few people that are experiencing the app installation issues. We applogize for any inconvenience.

I have tried a few cases to reproduce the issue in our lab, and we have not successfully reproduced the same issues that have been reported.

I ask the people that are experiencing the issue with the app installation process on the 6.6.1 release to send us their logs.

http://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators

The logs will help us better understand where it is getting stuck in the installation process.

Message 11 of 36
OOM-9
NETGEAR Expert

There was a user that had an issue with one of their previous third-party apps (sabnzbd) from getting uninstall. The previous sabnzbd packaging looks like it had a bug based on the log output.

The behavior may have appeared where sabnzbd was removed, but on the backend in ReadyNAS the package did not fully remove. For others that may encounter the issue; it would be helpful to add what apps are installed as well as what apps were installed before. In some cases; the version of the app will be important.
Message 12 of 36
stereovo
Aspirant

What are the chances for having AV+ working back with the next release?

Can we downgrade safely to 6.6.0 and wait for the next one?

Message 13 of 36
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello stereovo,

There has been an update to the AV provider on 6.6.1 so, I guess we would have to wait for a new AV+ app then.

Regards,

Message 14 of 36
themediapot
Aspirant

Hello OOM-9,

Sorry for my late reply, it has been a crazy week.

Apps that are still on mine:

1. Plex Media Server (for RN2xx) Version 2.12.5 (Indicated within Plex) and Version 1.3.3.3148-b386
  2. Transmission NT Version 2.91.nt-2

One app was removed during the process:

1. Anti-Virus Plus however I do not have the version number

I've also noticed just then that anti virus definition has not been updated since 16 Jan 2017 with a yellow status.

This is starting to get concerning.  Is there a way to revert to 6.6.0?

Thanks.

Regards

Message 15 of 36
StephenB
Guru

AV-Plus was removed because Netgear switched to a different AV provider, and AV-Plus was built on the old provider's APIs.  

On the definitions update, you might want to try a reboot.

Message 16 of 36
themediapot
Aspirant

Okay thanks for the suggestion.  I have rebooted it.  Is there a way to force update?  Otherwise I'll just wait a day or two to see if it worked.

Regards,

Message 17 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@themediapot wrote:

Is there a way to force update?  Otherwise I'll just wait a day or two to see if it worked.

I don't know of any.

BTW, I suggested the reboot because Netgear said on another thread that they were pushing a patch related to AV definition updates.  It would have silently been applied to all 6.6.1 systems at some point, but rebooting should have installed the update right away.

Message 18 of 36
themediapot
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

Understood.

Okay it is now almost 5.5 hours later, the virus definition file has not been updated:

Thu Jan 26 2017 21:19:28 System: Cannot install application Resilio Sync.

Thu Jan 26 2017 20:29:31 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.

Thu Jan 26 2017 20:27:59 System: The system is rebooting.

Wed Jan 18 2017 1:42:33 System: Cannot install application resilio-sync_2.4.4_amd64.deb.

Wed Jan 18 2017 1:41:29 System: Cannot install application Anti-Virus Plus.

The interesting thing is the log doesn't even say that it has tried and failed like it usually would:

Fri Jan 6 2017 20:24:37 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 201701061116.
Thu Jan 5 2017 20:24:05 System: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed. (error code: 5)
Wed Jan 4 2017 20:24:24 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 201701041140.

This was the last few virus definiton updates:

Mon Jan 16 2017 8:11:47 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 57.22899.
Sun Jan 15 2017 8:11:45 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 57.22893.
Sat Jan 14 2017 8:11:47 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 57.22887.
Fri Jan 13 2017 8:30:03 System: Cannot install application Anti-Virus Plus.
Fri Jan 13 2017 7:58:06 System: Antivirus scanner definition file was updated to 57.22881.
Fri Jan 13 2017 7:55:43 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Fri Jan 13 2017 7:55:28 System: Firmware was upgraded to 6.6.1.

Message 19 of 36
themediapot
Aspirant

Hello all,

I appreciate your assistance thus far, and I understand that there is limit to what you can do because of limited information that you have access to RE our systems, or legal/contractual/liabilities safeguards.

Can you please advice:

1. If Netgear is working on another update i.e. 6.6.2?
  2. If so, what is the expected date of release?
  3. If so, what are the included modules/candidates?  Does any of them relate to this issue a number of us here are facing?
  4. Is there a beta program I can be a part of to trial that?  
  5. If there anything i can do to assist with troubleshooting?  Additional logs?  Enable verbose logging?

Can you also please advice:

1. Is there a way for me to return back to 6.6.1?  I am open to progress with a factory reset if that is what it takes.
  2. Will a factory reset deliver an empty 6.6.2, or will it go back to whichever version it was shipped with?
  3. What do you think are my chances of getting all these to behave as it should, should I progress with a factory reset, whichever version factory reset will deliver me?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Message 20 of 36
StephenB
Guru

@themediapot wrote:

Can you please advice:

1. If Netgear is working on another update i.e. 6.6.2?

Though I don't work for Netgear, they are planning to start an open 6.6.2 beta shortly.  This first beta appears to be focussed on AV, though there might be some other fixes I guess.  There's a lot of competing threads on AV, so it is hard to follow.  But here's the post that talks about the beta:

douglas_cheung wrote:

Hi,

Engineering has identified a cause for the issues reported on the community.  The root cause is that ClamAV uses up the /tmp directory space when scanning files transferred over SAMBA.  The symptom is especially acute in models that have small RAM and low CPU bandwidth.

A possible fix has been identified and is being tested.

There may be other issues.  Engineering is still in the process of investigating.

NETGEAR may release a beta version of the software next week here on the community site.

Thank you for your patience,

Doug

The changelogs for beta generally don't reach to specific modules - they just identify the fixes, any known issues, etc. 

Message 21 of 36
Jake2
Aspirant

Hello Netgear,

When will the new firmware release not the beta version?

Jake

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 22 of 36
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

How long is a piece of string?...

When a production release comes out depends greatly on how a beta goes. It's hard to give an ETA for a firmware release. We have internal goals but those can shift if unexpected issues are encountered.

Message 23 of 36
themediapot
Aspirant

Hi all,

Just checking in to see if you've come across any potential solution for this intractable problem.

Antivirus is now 3 weeks out... and the problems still exist.

Do you think a reset would resolve this?  And if I reset, will it reset to 6.6.1 or...?

Thanks.

-Kevin

Message 24 of 36

The 6.7.0 FW is expected to be released and solve those issues!

Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements