× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

As firewall/router

aerius
Aspirant

As firewall/router

Hello everyone!

Got one quick question about the ReadyNAS 104 series.
It got dual ethernet ports which to me looks like I can use it as a router and firewall?
Is this possible? I see that Synology has a firewall built-in their software.
I would like to use the ReadyNas 104 as a router if that is possible.

Br,
Aerius
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: As firewall/router

It doesn't come with firewall software.

It might be possible to configure it to act as a router (and add in a firewall package), but you would basically be on your own. I don't recommend using a NAS as a router myself, as it puts all your data on your edge device - not the best place for it from a security point of view.

Do you have a particular application in mind that needs that configuration?
Message 2 of 6
aerius
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
It doesn't come with firewall software.

It might be possible to configure it to act as a router (and add in a firewall package), but you would basically be on your own. I don't recommend using a NAS as a router myself, as it puts all your data on your edge device - not the best place for it from a security point of view.

Do you have a particular application in mind that needs that configuration?

I thought about this after I post this thread. And it was the same as you said put my hardware with all my data on the edge of the network aren't so great. But I more or less got my question answered.
Thank you for your help!

Thread can be closed.
Message 3 of 6
arnomc
Aspirant

MMmhh about the dual ethernet, I would like to plug an networked inkjet printer on the second ethernet port and use the NAS as a switch (with same networks settings). So no security problems in my case. I am planning to 'upgrade' my Ultra 2 to OS 6.
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

arnomc wrote:
MMmhh about the dual ethernet, I would like to plug an networked inkjet printer on the second ethernet port and use the NAS as a switch (with same networks settings). So no security problems in my case. I am planning to 'upgrade' my Ultra 2 to OS 6.
I don't think you can use it as a layer-2 switch. With work you could route, but I don't recommend it. You're better off getting an ethernet switch if you need one.
Message 5 of 6
arnomc
Aspirant

As i am not a pro on route, I could easily ruin my NAS's access to the network :).You give me the idea to find a small and low power gigabit switch/router (or usb powered) which will also solve my DDNS problem ! I really hope to find that unusual product 🙂
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements