× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup NAS, will 104 be okay?

JazzyGeoff
Follower

Backup NAS, will 104 be okay?

Hey,

So we currently have a RN3130 as primary storage for a small office, 20 users on autocad, total used space is about 600 gigs. I'm looking for an offsite backup and a home NAS and am hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  

Would a 104 be able to keep up with daily backups or replication and handle the usual home abuse.  Ideally would like to have sabnzb, sickbeard, couch potato, mysql, and maybe a iscsi lun or 2 and obviously be a Plex and Kodi server.  And most importantly a large colletion of gopro vids and SLR photo's which need to be served mad fast 🙂

Writing the above down I'm starting to think that the little 104 just wont cut it 😕

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Backup NAS, will 104 be okay?

Actually for 1080p transcoding the 516 is the way to go.

I agree that the 200 series is the minimum model that I would consider.

I would go with at least the 300 series or better yet the 516. With a business model such as a 300 series unit or 516 you would get lifetime chat support to match the lifetime chat support on the RN3130.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@JazzyGeoff wrote:

Hey,

So we currently have a RN3130 as primary storage for a small office, 20 users on autocad, total used space is about 600 gigs. I'm looking for an offsite backup and a home NAS...

Your internet download speed is of course also a factor here. You probably want incremental rsync over ssh, and do the starting backup on-site. 

... obviously be a Plex and Kodi server.  And most importantly a large colletion of gopro vids and SLR photo's which need to be served mad fast 🙂 

With plex, its best have a device fast enough to transcode.  That pushes you up to the RN200 series at least.  If you need to transcode 1080p, move up a notch to RN300.  

A 6-bay would let you use one or two SSD disks, which would give you a couple "mad fast". shares.  That might be useful for the photos (which often result in large folders of relatively small files).  Perhaps a RAID-0 volume spanning 2 SSD drives, backing them up to the larger mechanical disks for safety???

Message 2 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Actually for 1080p transcoding the 516 is the way to go.

I agree that the 200 series is the minimum model that I would consider.

I would go with at least the 300 series or better yet the 516. With a business model such as a 300 series unit or 516 you would get lifetime chat support to match the lifetime chat support on the RN3130.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements