× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Buying a RN104

creesy
Aspirant

Buying a RN104

Hello,

Im in the market for a new NAS since my old one died i currently have 2 x 3TB drives and will be getting a third when i purchased the NAS making it 3 x 3TB drive.

1)  Two of the drives are used and i dont really have a way to connect them to a computer to format (Only have a Macbook Pro in my possession.  Is that ok will the RN104 format them?

2)  Do i just put the 3 drives in and boot the unit up?  How do i select which RAID i would like to use? (I would like as close to 6TB usable as possible so i think RAID 5 or equivalent is the best option)

3) If i was to use RAID 5 or equivalent is the transfer rate of this NAS fast enough to stream full HD or UHD content over lan? (or WIFI N/AC)

4) If i purchase a 3rd HDD (Of the same size and model) can i simply insert it into the NAS with no issues or data loss?

5) Is the processor sufficent to run a bittorrent app?

Thanks in advance for the help

Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: Buying a RN104

@creesy wrote:

1)  Two of the drives are used and i dont really have a way to connect them to a computer to format (Only have a Macbook Pro in my possession.  Is that ok will the RN104 format them?

The NAS can format them (and should do it automatically if you do a factory install from the front panel).

2)  Do i just put the 3 drives in and boot the unit up?  How do i select which RAID i would like to use? (I would like as close to 6TB usable as possible so i think RAID 5 or equivalent is the best option)

You can just put them in, though you might need to use the boot-menu factory install to make sure they are formatted.  XRAID is the default RAID, and it should be fine for you (it uses RAID-5 single redundancy with 3x3 TB drives).  With OS6 you can change to flexraid later on with no data loss.

3) If i was to use RAID 5 or equivalent is the transfer rate of this NAS fast enough to stream full HD or UHD content over lan? (or WIFI N/AC)

@Full BluRay takes 6-7 MB/sec, full rate UHD disks take 16 MB/sec.  Streamed or downloaded internet content is usually much less (1080p @ 8 mbits is pretty common, that takes only 1-2 MB/sec).  

The NAS is much faster (perhaps 70 MB/s read, 50 MB/s write).  So it will keep up.  802.11N or 802.11AC might not (but that is a separate question from the NAS.

4) If i purchase a 3rd HDD (Of the same size and model) can i simply insert it into the NAS with no issues or data loss?

I think you mean a 4th HDD?  The answer is yes, and it doesn't need to be the same model.  It does need to be >= 3 TB though.

5) Is the processor sufficent to run a bittorrent app?

You can run transmission (though I don't).  Download/upload speeds won't be as fast as a desktop PC.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements