× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I move Pro Business (RNDP6000) disks to an Ultra 6 Plus (RNDP600U)?

klidster
Apprentice

Can I move Pro Business (RNDP6000) disks to an Ultra 6 Plus (RNDP600U)?

For years I've used an old ReadyNAS Pro Business system (RNDP6000) for periodic rsync backups of my 14TB+ video library. Unfortuately its power supply died a few days ago, so I picked up an inexpensive Ultra 6 Plus off of eBay to replace it. I chose the Ultra 6 hoping that I'll be able to directly move over the 6 4TB backup drives from the Pro Business. Is this possible and, if so, is there anything I need to be careful about when doing it? It would be nice if this can be done and I'll be able to carry over the 1-2 hour rsync incremental backup times. I'm not adverse to initializing the disks on the Ultra 6 Plus system, but then the initial full rsync backup will take about 10 days to complete.

I should probably mention that the video library server is a ReadyNAS 316 with 6 6TB drives configured in XRaid2, the Pro Business 6 4TB drives were configured as JBOD, and they're both on an internal gigabit network.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can I move Pro Business (RNDP6000) disks to an Ultra 6 Plus (RNDP600U)?

Yes. You may wish to put a scratch disk in the Ultra 6 Plus, and check that the firmware on the unit is at least as recent as what was on the Pro Business. If it's not, update the firmware, verify the firmware update is successful (i.e. comes up fine after a reboot), then power down, remove the scratch disk and move your disks across (keep the order the same).

There are some posts on the community about replacing the PSU on a Pro Business (at your own risk).

Personally I would've recommended getting a new unit rather than a second hand unit. There's no warranty or support for second hand units. You can move disks from a RAIDiator-x86 system to one of our OS6 x86 systems (i.e. RN300 series, RN400 series, RN516, RN520 series, RN620 series, RN716X) following this procedure: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.2 to ReadyNAS OS 6 (x86) - though you'd need a place to backup your data to if you'd move your disks to an OS6 unit.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes. You may wish to put a scratch disk in the Ultra 6 Plus, and check that the firmware on the unit is at least as recent as what was on the Pro Business. If it's not, update the firmware, verify the firmware update is successful (i.e. comes up fine after a reboot), then power down, remove the scratch disk and move your disks across (keep the order the same).

There are some posts on the community about replacing the PSU on a Pro Business (at your own risk).

Personally I would've recommended getting a new unit rather than a second hand unit. There's no warranty or support for second hand units. You can move disks from a RAIDiator-x86 system to one of our OS6 x86 systems (i.e. RN300 series, RN400 series, RN516, RN520 series, RN620 series, RN716X) following this procedure: ReadyNAS: Migrating disks from RAIDiator 4.2 to ReadyNAS OS 6 (x86) - though you'd need a place to backup your data to if you'd move your disks to an OS6 unit.

Message 2 of 3
klidster
Apprentice

Thanks, mdgm, for your prompt response. Since the Pro Business is dead I can't verify the firmware release, but I'm pretty sure its up-to-date so I'll just ensure the Ultra is current using a scratch disk as you indicated.

I looked into replacing the PSU and actually removed it preparing to get and install another. But researching it showed that it wasn't very straight-forward, simple, or even guaranteed to work. I considered a new unit as you mentioned, but this system was being used as more of a glorified rsync server and was only being turned on a few times a month to update the main movie server's backup. So for just a few hundred bucks I decided to pick up the used Ultra 6 Plus instead.

On a different note, I've been running ReadyNAS servers since the NV days, and I've been a member of these forums just as long. As issues have popped up over the years I've checked in here and always got excellent advice. And more often or not its been you, mdgm, that gave that prompt and good advice. I'd like to personally say I'm very grateful for all the help you've given over the years. So once again, thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements