× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Connect to the router (AP).

eruditusfaber
Aspirant

Can't Connect to the router (AP).

Hi!

I've just bought the RN102 (used one) and i'm struggling to connect it.

Power ON - led is on
ACT - led is on
Disk 1 - led is on

But on the back LEDs in LAN port are off.

I have tried to different cables and i tried to connect it directly to my laptop. The LEDs are not blinking and the ReadyCLOUD or RAIDar doesn't find it.

Please help me, what can i do to fix this?

Best regards,
Simon.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Can't Connect to the router (AP).

You could try the factory reset procedure on page 15-16 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/RN%20OS%206%20Desktop%20HW%20UM_15Oct2013.pd...

But I fear you purchased a defective unit.

Message 2 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi eruditusfaber,

Welcome to the community!

Before you follow StephenB's suggestion, try to boot up your unit without drives (mark/label them once you remove them) and check if the LEDs of ReadyNAS LAN will lit up or it shows up on your network (RAIDar).

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 10
eruditusfaber
Aspirant

Hi BrianL,

When i boot up NAS without drive (i've got one) the power LED blinks (only this one in frone) and LAN LEDs are still off. And also i can't find it with RAIDar.

Any other ideas? 

I have only one compatible HDD and i have some data on it so i have to wait with factory reset untill i get new HDD.

Best regards and thanks for any help,

Simon.

Message 4 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi eruditusfaber,

Does the data on your ReadyNAS important? Also, do you have a backup of it? Well, you can try to access it's boot menu and see if the unit can be set in telnet (techsupport) mode. If that won't work, the last thing you can try is to perform USB boot recovery.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 10
eruditusfaber
Aspirant

Data on my HDD, not on ReadyNAS, yes? I've bought NAS without HDD i wanted to put inside my own HDD and like i said before there are files on it that are important so i have to wait for new clean HDD to try new things that require HDD inside NAS. I've old 320 GB Smasung HDD, but it's not on the Netgear list of comatible HDDs. 

I understand that to access boot menu and set telenet or perform USB boot recovery i need to hava at least one HDD inside the NAS, yes?

Best regards,

Simon.

Message 6 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi eruditusfaber,

It appears that you want to use an old (incompatible) drive of yours in your ReadyNAS system. We don't recommend using old drives with files in it, I suggest that you first backup its contents somewhere and copy them back to your ReadyNAS once it's setup. Before you try the telnet or USB boot recovery procedure on your newly ordered hard drive, set it up via boot menu -> factory reset.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

@eruditusfaber wrote:

Data on my HDD, not on ReadyNAS, yes? I've bought NAS without HDD i wanted to put inside my own HDD and like i said before there are files on it that are important so i have to wait for new clean HDD to try new things that require HDD inside NAS. I've old 320 GB Smasung HDD, but it's not on the Netgear list of comatible HDDs. 

I hope you understand that the data on that drive will be lost if/when you insert it into the NAS and power on.  The NAS will reformat it to a Linux format.

For just running experiments to se if the NAS is functional, any old SATA drive should work fine.  It's best to stick with the HCL for long term, but you aren't worried about longevity on the test drive.

Does the LAN LED come on when the unit is off and connected to your switch/router?  What does that connection's LED on the switch/router do when the NAS is on and off?  Have you tried into a different swtch or directly into our router?

I purchased a used Duo V2 that is picky about the switch type -- it doesn't like most "green" ones.  I figure the signal is weak and the swirtch and NAS don't handshake right.  It works fine plugged directly into my router or non-green switch.

Message 8 of 10
eruditusfaber
Aspirant

Hi,

nottihng change yet.

I've tried different cables and conntecion direct to computer. LAN LEDs don't turn on.

When i put the power cable to NAS there is a shor one blink of green LED so they aren't broke. 

I'm now waiting for the new, empty, comatible HDD, but it's gonna take a while. I'll replay as soon as i get it.

Thanks for all your support and advice.

Best regards,

Simon.

Message 9 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@eruditusfaber wrote:

I've tried different cables and conntecion direct to computer. LAN LEDs don't turn on.

Try also connecting it to your router (diskless).  Then see if RAIDar can find it. You can find RAIDar here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20684/~/readynas-downloads#raidar

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements