× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing from ReadyNAS Pro to RN31400

belltt
Aspirant

Changing from ReadyNAS Pro to RN31400

For various reasons we're looking to update the ReadyNAS Pros (2) we've been running on for the past five years. The capacity of the ReadyNAS Pro was always overkill for our purposes, so I'm looking at the RN31400 as a replacement. I wanted to confirm that in making this change I would not be losing out on any functionality that I currently have with the ReadyNAS Pro and would not have with the 31400?

If not, will I gain any functionality?

Is the 31400 loaded and compatible with the Egnyte NAS Cloud Add-On?

Thank you
Message 1 of 12
de_niro
Guide

Re: Changing from ReadyNAS Pro to RN31400

belltt wrote:
For various reasons we're looking to update the ReadyNAS Pros (2) we've been running on for the past five years. The capacity of the ReadyNAS Pro was always overkill for our purposes, so I'm looking at the RN31400 as a replacement. I wanted to confirm that in making this change I would not be losing out on any functionality that I currently have with the ReadyNAS Pro and would not have with the 31400?

If not, will I gain any functionality?

to replace a RN314 is a good choice,I am not sure what kind of function you want,OS6 intergrated free Cloud service(Replicate,remote,Cloud portal) and a lot of add-ons
http://apps.readynas.com/pages/?page_id=9

belltt wrote:
Is the 31400 loaded and compatible with the Egnyte NAS Cloud Add-On?

Yes,you can install this addon from the Frontview of OS6
Message 2 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

Some things were left out of OS6 when coming from RAIDiator-x86...

Rsync+SSH limited, cant upload SSH keys: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=71047
Disk spin-down support is limited: viewtopic.php?p=410910#p410910
Power Timer is more limited: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=74049
Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Scheduled volume scrubs and volume scans are also missing.

I think everything else is there (though of course the add-on set is different). There are some new features - antivirus, and improved snapshots. SSH no longer requires an add-on to enable. The volume growth limits in xraid2 no longer apply (no more 16 TiB size limit, or 8 TiB growth limit).

It is early days still with OS6, so that is something to take into account.
Message 4 of 12
belltt
Aspirant

Thank you for the feedback. Losing Rsync over SSH (not being able to upload a key) is a bit of a big deal for me I believe.The two RN Pros I have use that functionality to do a nightly backup from one to the other right now....getting that setup exhausted my technical know-how. Is there an easy and secure alternative with OS6?
Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Are you using Frontview backup?

Frontview backup is essentially the same - you should be able to use the same settings with the OS6 NAS.

I don't use egynte or replicate, so I have no comments on them.
Message 6 of 12
belltt
Aspirant

Yes, I believe I am using Frontview backup....but in setting it up I remember creating a SSH key and downloading it on one PRO and then uploading that key on the other PRO. It doesn't sound like that can be done the same way in 06?
Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

Based on Chirpa's thread link, it appears that you can run secure backup jobs on the OS6 device, since you can upload the ssh key to your existing Pros. What you can't do at present is run the jobs on the Pro, since the upload function is missing on the OS6 side. Hopefully it is on their fix list, it is an obvious flaw.

Are the two PROs on the same network, or are these backups going over the internet? If they are on the same network, is there a particular reason you are concerned about backup security?
Message 8 of 12
belltt
Aspirant

They back up over the internet.

Thanks for the info. So, what I can't do today is purchase two RN31400 and retire my two RN Pro (and continue with the same backup specifications).

I'll hold off for now.
Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

belltt wrote:
...So, what I can't do today is purchase two RN31400 and retire my two RN Pro (and continue with the same backup specifications)...
That is the way I understand the thread.

belltt wrote:
I'll hold off for now.
There are potentially alternatives - super-poussin has VPN server and VPN client add-ons for OS6 that might be able to connect securely. If Netgear doesn't fix the SSH upload soon, you could PM super-poussin directly, and see if his solutions would work for you.
Message 10 of 12
belltt
Aspirant

Thanks
Message 11 of 12
chirpa
Luminary

If you are comfortable with SSH terminal usage, you could upload the SSH keys manually to get the functionality somewhat back.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements