× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configure NAS

2brock
Aspirant

Configure NAS

Hi everyone, I´ve been using a shared hard disk in my local network and this is my very first time using a NAS and I cannot find the way to configure it.

It´s been a couple of days since I´ve been setting it up but there is nothing else I can do. I have tried a couple of possible solutions but nothing worked so I am going to arp nas.PNGtell what I have done and see if you can help me.  am using the hard drive I used for local network, and I just want to let you know that I only store movies on it so I don’t use it that much and it has got more or less a year since I bought it.

So, I formatted the hard drive which is a Seagate ST2000DM001 and inserted in the chamber 1 of the NAS. After turning it up it did nothing, I wasn´t able to find it in the Ready Cloud web page, also pressed the backup button for 5 sec. and nothing. I also downloaded the RAIDar programme and still the same.

As I remembered I set to my tech a static IP so I thought it would be because of that so I set the NAS with the 192.168.1.10 to the eth0 and 192.168.1.11 to the eth1. I do have the NAS connected the router my internet provider gave as I also have a switch and thought this could cause some issues.

ping nas eth0.PNG

I can ping the ip from my PC sending 4 packages and receiving them too, I have also tried looking up they IP through the browser and nothing. So, I thought it would be a problem with the hard disk so I decided to formatted using this manual selection Factory default and leave it "think” for 30 min; useless.Right now, it has the power button blue and the rest are off. I´m also going to post some photos as they may be useful.

Any help is welcome and thanks in advanced.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
2brock
Aspirant

Re: Configure NAS

the manual I was talking about, forgot to link it https://kb.netgear.com/en_US/22892/

Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Disconnect eth1 for now, and just use the one ethernet connection.  If you want to use two, you need to configure NIC teaming in the NAS - let's wait on that until you get everything else up and running.

Then try entering http://192.168.1.10/admin into your PC browser, and see if you can log into the NAS.  There likely will be some security warnings that you need to click through.  When you get to the login screen, enter admin for the username and password for the password.

The hardware and software manuals for your ReadyNAS are here: 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/READYNAS_OS_6_SM_EN.pdf

FWIW, I recommend NAS-purposed disks (like the Seagate Ironwolf or WDC Red drives), or possibly enterprise-class drives.  They are better choices for NAS use than the desktop drives you went with.  I'm not suggesting that you return them, but you might keep that in mind for future disk purchases.

Message 3 of 7
2brock
Aspirant

First of all, thanks for taking your time answering me.
I don't know if I didn't explain myself but I didn't mean I had connected two ethernet cables to the NAS. I just have one RJ45 but both eth ports configured in my DHCP table in my router just in case the problem I had was because I didn't have it set it up.
Tomorrow I'll try accessing with the admin you told me and let you know.

Thanks again.
Message 4 of 7
2brock
Aspirant

Hi, I have tried what you told me and nothing, the webpage refused the connection with error: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED so I restarted Captura de pantalla (1).pngthe router just in case. Still the same I start to think that the hard disk I´m using could be the problem, is there any way I can make sure it´s because of this? Do you know how the lights are supposed to be turned on if the disk is not recognised? And can it boot up without any drives and show an error that there are no drives connected? 

I was thinking of buying a proper hard drive for the NAS but 1st wanted to test it and don’t really want to spend 200 euros on a 6tbif it is not going to work as I cannot determine if the NAS if failing or the drives.

Let me know if there is anything else you come across.disco.PNG

Thanks!

Message 5 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 2brock,

Usually if the disk is not recognized, the disk LED is not lit on the NAS. You can boot up the NAS without the disks and RAIDar should be able to detect it with a status of "no disk detected".

Regards,

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 7
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi 2brock,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements