× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Confused about clouds and accounts

RAndrews
Aspirant

Confused about clouds and accounts

I couldn't even find my model in the drop down box above ReadyNAS RN314 4 bay

I use this in a simple way to store photographic imageson a local home network as a hobby. I do not understand what the cloud is all about and have recently become very confused as to what I should be doing.

I used to have Raidar on my desktop PC, but following a possible virus, I reset windows which wiped out all the software on my computer. I do not seem to be able to download and install Raidar, but it seems to work as a one from the Netgear downloads page. In my downloads folder I have the Raidar Icon, but it doesn't seem to work, despite windows explorer identifying it as an application.

I've got no idea what I need to do with respect to the Readycloud or Mynetgear account, I can sign in to Ready Cloud but the discover page reports No devices discovered, whereas Raidar worked fine, saying it was healthy and using Firmware version 6.6.0.

When I pressed the backup button for 5 seconds and then the Retry button - still "No devices discovered"

Is there a simple guide which will take me through what I am supposed to do?

Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@RAndrews wrote:

I couldn't even find my model in the drop down box above ReadyNAS RN314 4 bay

There are far too many models for that simple pulldown to work.  You will find RN31400 ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay if you scroll down far enough.  But just identifying the model in the post (as you did) is fine.

It is always good to let us know the firmware version also (saying "latest" generally is not helpful).

@RAndrews wrote:

I do not understand what the cloud is all about ...

Let's start here then.  If you don't need or want the services the ReadyCloud offers, then you are better off just leaving it off.

ReadyCloud offers three basic services (and there are alternatives for all of them btw).

-It lets you access your files remotely when you are are not on your home network.  In your case that includes

• copy photos from a smartphone to your NAS
  • view photos on the NAS from the smartphone

-It lets you share files on your NAS with friends or family who aren't in your home (in your case photos)

-You can set up accounts for friends or family, so they can put their own files on your NAS without being in your home.

Are these services something you want?  If not, what kind of access (if any) do you want when you are away from home?  What kind of remote access (if any) do you want to give friends or family who live elsewhere?

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Which version or RAIDar are you using?  V6.2 doesn't do an "installation", it's a stand-alone program and should work on Win10.  But I have no problem with V4.3.8 on Windows 10, either, and prefer it's interface to V6.2.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

V6.2 doesn't do an "installation"....  

Actually it does now.  

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos