× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Considering an upgrade from my current RN102 to the new RN212

todd123az
Tutor

Considering an upgrade from my current RN102 to the new RN212

I am considering upgrading my current NAS RN102 to the new RN212.  I would appreciate any input/user experience with the new NAS unit that may help in my decision.  I currently use my NAS as my central storage point for all my home PC's and laptop.  I have noticed some slowness with the system with opening/copying files.  Likewise, I seem to have some minor issues when trying to view photos on my NAS with my new Smart TV.  As for considering the new RN212, it appears that my current hard drives (2 - 2TB) would need to be reformatted to work with the newer NAS. 

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Considering an upgrade from my current RN102 to the new RN212

Hi todd123az,

Welcome to the community!

It will be an upgrade if you will use the RN212 from RN102. Aside from the quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, 802.11AC compatibility, it supports full HD 1080p transcoding. So your normal activity of accessing files through your PC, laptop or Smart TV will be much faster and better. With regard to moving the drives from the RN102 to RN212, it will be just fine. Just ensure that both units are running the same firmware. 

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Considering an upgrade from my current RN102 to the new RN212

Hi todd123az,

Welcome to the community!

It will be an upgrade if you will use the RN212 from RN102. Aside from the quad-core processor, 2GB RAM, 802.11AC compatibility, it supports full HD 1080p transcoding. So your normal activity of accessing files through your PC, laptop or Smart TV will be much faster and better. With regard to moving the drives from the RN102 to RN212, it will be just fine. Just ensure that both units are running the same firmware. 

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements